about 1 month ago
Head of Airworthiness
We are currently recruiting for a Head of Airworthiness who will secure and maintain the necessary regulatory approvals for the business and its products, they will ensure the continued airworthiness of designs, including leading associated test programmes.
We are looking for someone to develop and establish a new Aerospace business including necessary practices to achieve regulatory approvals and be responsible for building relationships and lead work with relevant agencies.
YASA was founded on the principle that small, light electric motors would play a growing role in meeting both the strict emissions targets being set globally in a wide range of industries and the requirement for greater efficiency through electrification.
The Company was incorporated in 2009 based on a unique patented motor technology invented by the Company's founder and CTO Dr Tim Woolmer whilst studying for his DPhil at Oxford University.
Today, YASA's revolutionary proprietary Axial Flux technology provides compact, lightweight and powerful electric motors & controllers that support a variety of aerospace electrification applications for our clients - with an innovation roadmap of even lighter and more efficient products on the way that will power the future of Urban Air Mobility
YASA supplies custom and off-the-shelf specialised e-motors and controllers to both automotive and aviation customers from its headquarters and series production facility near Oxford in the UK.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Build relationships and lead work with relevant regulatory agencies (CAA, EASA ,FAA), coordinating all certification activities/programmes
- Secure certification of designs, including updates, with relevant agencies
- Develop the companies Design Organisation Handbook and Design Assurance System in collaboration with the leadership team
- Monitor and interpret airworthiness events in the market
- Support service bulletins
- Ensure all reporting and work meets aerospace standards
- Provide advice to the rest of the team on airworthiness requirements
- Develop and manage the requisite test programmes with customers
- Ensuring the verification of compliance with the applicable type-certification basis
- Ensuring that a design organisation handbook (DOH) is prepared and updated as required
- Ensuring that there is adequate and timely interaction with the authorities and internally on all relevant matters with respect to type certification, changes to type certificates, the approval of repairs and the approval of the design organisation.
- Ensuring that the continued airworthiness activities are properly performed.
Skills and Experience required:
- Professionally qualified with an Engineering/Aeronautics degree, CEng and relevant Airworthiness qualifications
- Experience and understanding of relevant Part 21 and Part 145 design certification requirements
- Previous experience collaborating directly with regulatory agencies
- Previous proven experience of product development/design within aerospace organisations
- Good aircraft safety knowledge
- Proficient at creating and managing technical records
- Strong people and management skills
- Instinctive problem-solving skills coupled with a sound analytical approach
- Ability to work under pressure while managing conflicting demands against tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to influence others
- Good understanding of the importance of safety and adherence to process and maintaining fact-based approach
- A flexible approach to work.