Newton Heath, Greater Manchester
£20000 - £30000 per annum
about 1 month ago
My client a leading manufacturing engineering business currently have a requirement within their Health and Safety department for a Health and Safety Officer.
The position will report directly to the Health and Safety Manager and the successful candidate would be expected to display the following characteristics:
Calm, patient and assertive in potentially stressful situations
Excellent negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills
Strong analytical, problem-solving and organisational skills
You will also be required to be IT literate and capable of acquiring and applying detailed legal, technical and regulatory information.
Core duties will include
* Undertaking risk assessments and site inspections.
* keep records of inspection findings and produce reports that suggest improvements
* Identifying potential hazards.
* Determining ways of reducing risks.
* Maintaining and updating a risk assessment database.
* Investigating/recording incidents, accidents, complaints and cases of ill health.
* Drawing up safe systems of work / operational practices.
* Keep up to date with new legislation and maintain a working knowledge of all Health and Safety Executive (HSE) legislation and any developments that affect the company business sector.
* Reviewing MSDS to establish possible chemical risk.
* Deputise for the H&S manager during absence this will include chairing the H&S committee meeting and producing minutes.
* Lead in-house training with managers and employees about health and safety issues and risks.
* Record and collate evidence of competency arising from in house and external training.
The prerequisite minimum qualification would be IOSH managing safely, NEBOSH general certificate would be an advantage, however the successful candidate would be expected to study toward gaining the NEBOSH General Certificate.
A background in engineering, manufacturing or FMCG would be advantageous.
In return you can expect an excellent working environment within a market leading business.