Up to £0.00 per annum
about 2 months ago
Our client Scottish Power are seeking a Group / Management Accountant for a minimum 12 month contract role.
This would be for an urgent and immediate start.
Qualified Accountant required
Job Purpose Statement
Support the Group Accounting Manager (GAM) or Group Derivative Accounting Manager (GDAM) as appropriate in performing the key tasks for the Group Financial Accounting (GFA) department as follows:
1. Business Processes: Contribute to ensuring that any existing business processes, new business processes and any technical accounting developments which have financial implications for the group accounts are accurately reflected in the general ledger and related accounting models.
2. Ledger management, accounting and reporting: Help ensure that appropriate ledger structures are in place across the business group that technical accounting developments are incorporate where appropriate. Posting centralised transactions accurately and timeously.
3. Controls: Implement centralised control processes for the general ledger and related accounting modules for the client to ensure that accurate financial information flows into the business group reporting and is compliant with all relevant accounting and legal requirements.
1.1. Support the GAM/GDAM in working with business and business Control teams to help ensure that any existing or new business processes which have financial implications for the accounts are accurately reflected in the general ledger and related accounting models by:
* Ensure a good working understanding of the relevant business systems feeding into the general ledger and related accounting models.
* Challenge and influence performers of existing and proposed business processes to identify and deliver efficiency benefits.
* Assisting with specific process change initiatives/projects and ensuring that issues are escalated to management where appropriate
* Implementing process changes, helping ensure that all business users of any new processes are adequately briefed and trained
* Updating processes and procedures documents clearly and concisely and maintaining it thereafter.
* Monitor the success of process changes post-implementation and take action as appropriate
Ledger Management, Accounting & Reporting
2.1. Assist divisional Control teams in:
* creating appropriate ledger structures ("transactional master data") and review proposed changes before submission.
Ennsuring that all analytical elements within the system are being used correctly to optimise reporting capability
* dealing with queries as required through the departmental "mailbox"
2.2. Maintain and demonstrate a good technical accounting knowledge to help ensure that:
* any developments are accurately and efficiently reflected in the general ledger and related accounting models
* the implications of any changes to the financial statements are fully understood and clearly explained to management
2.3. Post specific centralised transactions, as defined by the Control model, including certain fixed asset and payroll related transactions, ensuring that the postings are accurate, timely and that the associated processes are efficient
2.4. Prepare designated statutory disclosure information accurately and efficiently within group timescales.
* Working within a team of c.15 accountants to deliver key accountabilities on behalf of the group and the 3 main divisions: n total comprising over 40 legal entities
* Financial Dimensions of group:
? Revenue c.£5-6bn pa
? EBITDA >£1bn
? Net assets c.£4bn
* Assist in providing a link between the Group Control Accounting & Management Processes team and other members of the Control team
* Financial information is reported:
* internally on a monthly basis enabling senior management to assess business performance and take action as appropriate
* externally on a quarterly basis impacting the group's reputation and its ability to fund and carry out business objectives.
* Ledger "Mailbox" receives an average of c.100 queries per month from a population of over 200 Control users across business.
Skills Knowledge & Experience
* Qualified accountant with demonstrable technical accounting skills
* Be highly numerate with strong analytical skills and the ability to present complex financial information clearly and concisely to stakeholders.
* Influencing and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively and constructively challenge if required, across the organisation.
* "Hands on" experience in working within the SAP platform and a good working knowledge of the statutory reporting process.
* Delivery focus and high level of resilience to deal with the continually changing demands and time-pressures of the role.
* Pro-active person who:
anticipates issues and problems and puts in place effective strategies to manage these.
seeks continuous improvement and works to high standards while fulfilling day-to-day objectives