Aerospace and Defence
Up to £400.00 per day
0161 707 1516
16 days ago
Senior FPGA Engineer
Duration: 6 months
Rate: £400 per day Limited/Umbrella or £307.04 per day PAYE
The Senior FPGA Engineer is responsible for demonstrating that the developed product meets all specified product and customer requirements, by:
- Analysing requirements, specifying and documenting the FPGA solution and work breakdown
- Preparing FPGA architectural and detailed designs and documentation
- FPGA design generation and implementation
- FPGA design verification
- Integration of FPGAs onto the target platform
- Providing FPGA technical support
- Controlling and reviewing work of the members of their team (where a team exists)
- Supporting the company FPGA development process and procedure updates
- All FPGAs are designed, developed, integrated and tested in accordance with Clients Defence and Space standards; all supporting documents are produced in accordance with Clients Defence and Space standards.
- Appropriate processes and methodologies are used to design and deliver allocated FPGA development work packages meeting cost, time and quality targets, agreed with their development team leader.
- Technical design decisions are made within the context of known practices, established precedents and acquired technical expertise. The cost/benefits of design possibilities are understood, and that judgement calls can be made based on them.
- The provision of technical guidance to fellow team members in at least one major tool or technique used by Client.
- Success of both internal and external design reviews and project reviews throughout the development life cycle.
- The support of the design and development of critical components where decisions may have a significant impact on project timescales.
- Customer liaison, by representing Clients Defence and Space on project related technical matters at Stakeholder meetings.
- Design and Development by taking a technical role as a Prime on a critical component where necessary.
- Report to Team Leader or Prime as appropriate.
- Technical interface to Customers.
- Effective collaboration with other engineering disciplines to agree specifications and to carry out integration and test.
- Co-ordinate own time management with regard to project task milestones
- The focus of the job is Operational - delivery of project funded Work Packages.
- Analytical - To identify and isolate errors in the FPGA or integrated target platform, their likely causes and solutions.
- Ingenuity - To work on his/her own on a complete FPGA design from concept to delivery.
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Proven ability of FPGA design & implementation for communications equipment or equivalent
- Proficient in the use of VHDL
- Excellent FPGA development process knowledge
- Proficient in the use of at least one simulation tool
- Must be a knowledgeable engineer, fully versed in design methodologies for their field able to work on their own, but providing regular reporting
- Proficient in the use of at least one FPGA synthesis tool
- A good understanding of requirements capture, and of work package definition and estimation
- Must have recent design knowledge of devices from the following suppliers:
- Recent knowledge of using several of the following tools/development environments:
- Altera Quartus II
- Mentor ModelSim
- MicroSemi Libero IDE
- Microsemi Libero SoC
- Xilinx Vivado
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).