Manchester, Greater Manchester
£47304.00 - £54400.00 per annum
3 months ago
Highways England are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: www.highwaysengland.co.uk
We are currently recruiting for an experienced Finance Business Partner to on a Fixed Term Contract provide financial support, insight, challenge and partnership to the leadership teams within Highways England, both directly and through the management of Assistant Business Partners. The successful candidate will be responsible for the maintenance of strong financial control and governance, and plays a critical role in performance management, capital and resource planning and the development of financial strategy.
Day to Day:
* Provide specialist and trusted support, challenge and advice on all financial matters to the leadership team of the role holder's allocated business areas. Contribute and provide financial leadership to all key strategic and commercial decision making and planning, budgeting and forecasting processes, to drive the long term performance and delivery of the investment strategy.
* Ensure financial results are clearly communicated, budgets and forecasted outcomes are reviewed and presented accurately and key issues in business performance are identified and communicated across a region, and that options are identified and plans put in place to address deviations from budget in a clear and timely manner.
* Take responsibility for the integrity of financial controls and information, including oversight of relevant journals and reconciliations, as well as checking and challenging submissions from the business, ensuring the production and dissemination of accurate and timely financial data.
* Facilitate the adoption of new business and finance processes and lead their roll-out in the region/partnered are; current examples include efficiency identification & management, business case methodology and integrated capital planning.
* Lead the annual business planning process and longer-term financial planning, co-ordinating those responsible for providing inputs and ensuring that all are aware of key targets, pressures and messages. Partner with the regional/programme leadership team to deliver and present the budget to directorate leadership.
* Support and encourage the development of robust business cases, through proactive engagement with SROs, project teams and Subject Matter Advisers to ensure that the case is acceptable for submission to the relevant Board and that the Lead Finance Business Partner (and, as relevant, the CFO) is adequately briefed to contribute meaningfully to the discussion of each case.
* Manage a small team of Assistant Finance Business Partners to deliver the role holder's responsibilities and develop the capabilities and confidence of these individuals.
* Coordinate responsibilities with other teams with financial/performance responsibilities (internal and external) to ensure that all processes are carried out in the appropriate team to avoid duplications and improve processes and outputs.
* Chartered qualified accountant with previous finance, governance and commercial experience.
* Previous experience of managing a small team, supporting the development of other team members to ensure resilience and plug knowledge gaps, and training colleagues on financial matters where appropriate
* Understanding and working experience of managing a business planning process at a regional/area level
* Evidence of communicating project/programme objectives to all those with responsibility for developing budgets, and taking responsibility for ensuring budget outputs align with targets
* Experience in excellent stakeholder management
If you have the relevant skills mentioned, please apply via the link on screen.