West End, London
21 days ago
Export Control, Compliance and Governance Assistant, Permanent, London
About the Export Control and Compliance Assistant
As a key member of the Legal and Governance Department, the Export Control and Compliance Assistant will help deliver export control and compliance related support to our Clients joint venture companies, and internal governance committees and ensure our groups compliance with UK regulation, internal policies and export control laws.
Previous experience in a similar export control, governance or compliance role within a global company is required for this role.
The Legal and Governance Department is responsible for advising our Client on legal matters arising in relation to its UK business, it also manages company secretariat, export control and internal audit and compliance. The Export Control and Compliance Assistant will report to the Legal Director and work with the Export Control Manager and other members of the Legal and Governance Department.
Roles and responsibilities
Contribute to best practice in export control, compliance and corporate governance, including:
* Support the Export Control Manager in the development and implementation of export control systems
* In conjunction with the Export Control Manger, provide the following services to:
o Ensure implementation of all UK, EU & US export compliance requirements
o Development, writing, revision and review of export control related company documents
o Ensure all material received by or exported or transferred by our Client are correctly classified, and appropriate controls and records are maintained in a retrievable format of such classifications
o Ensure mandatory training is provided and tracking of training is maintained in a retrievable manner and provide briefings to employees involved in any export activity
o Ensure appropriate licensing and export authorisation management of items
o Provide any required or requested reporting
o Develop and implement continuous improvement actions to address any issues arising out of investigations, disclosures, governmental visits, audits and identified deficiencies.
o Oversight and support of employees involved in any export activity
o Monthly review with the team for Export Compliance issues & activities
* Assist the Legal Director with compliance related tasks including:
o the drafting, review and implementation of internal compliance policies and procedures e.g. corporate governance, anti-bribery, anti-money laundering, GDPR, export control
o preparing and / or reviewing Compliance reports as and when required.
o assisting with and conduct of internal reviews and audit of compliance and implement findings
* Guide other internal functions on export control and compliance related issues.
* Assist with other related tasks as directed by the Legal Director or members of the Legal and Governance Team
* Experience with export control and compliance functions.
* Desire to learn new tasks and take on projects and follow through.
* Team player and flexibility in applying skill set - works as a member of the team in a supportive, co-operative manner, sharing information.
* Ability to think creatively, problem solve and influence colleagues to address challenges in alternative ways.
* Ability to articulate and present a problem and persuasively outline solutions
* Demonstrates confidence and evokes trust through regularly delivering, and demonstrating value by using knowledge/skills to articulate solutions.
* Flexible in face of changing workloads and priorities.
* An effective communicator confident in dealing with internal and external clients from a range of backgrounds.
* Pro-active, forward looking and able to demonstrate initiative.
* A quick learner who thrives in a new and challenging situation and who is not afraid to take on new tasks.
* Ability to work autonomously.
Essential experience required:
* Demonstrated experience in export control functions including use of SPIRE and classifications or appropriate training in export controls and equivalent work-experience
* Experience in compliance functions
* Knowledge of GDPR
* Experience drafting procedures and auditing implementation
* Chinese language skills