10 months ago
A Systems Engineer is needed to join the systems engineering team within the Mode 5 IFF programme IPT (Integrated Project Team), part of the S3 (Support and Service Solutions) Line of Business at Leonardo.
Leonardo is operating as a Single Prime Contractor to the Ministry Of Defence with responsibility for Design, Installation and Support. To achieve this Leonardo are working with Platform Design Organisations (PDOs), including Boeing, Leonardo Helicopters, Northrop Grumman, Thales, and BAE SYSTEMS to design and deliver the solutions, making use of major prime equipment (Interrogators and Transponders) developed by Telephonics, Leonardo and Airbus.
The Mode 5 team, customers and PDO's are spread across the UK (and abroad) with the main systems equipment activities being led from Basildon. This role will be based in Basildon but may require frequent UK travel and occasion foreign travel.
Key Responsibility Areas
Working under direction from the UK Mode 5 IFF Equipment IPT Engineering Lead, this position is a hands-on role ensuring Technical input is delivered for assigned platforms.
- Applying your knowledge of systems engineering to undertake assigned activities, delivering to agreed performance targets, including cost and schedule.
- Work closely with engineering and other functions within the IPT to manage design changes, solve problems on complex systems and manage engineering aspects of external supply chain engagement.
- Working with Platform Design Organisations and Equipment providers to ensure delivery of the technical solution for the allocated platforms ahead of schedule, to achieve IOC and FOC.
- Working with Equipment providers and their technical team to ensure Maturity Design Gate Reviews are held and achieved ahead of schedule.
- Working hands on with guidance and support from Leonardo specialists to ensure that all engineering aspects are considered and assessed through Maturity Design Gate Reviews to ensure design integrity, including Systems Architecture (MODAF) Human Factors, System Design, Configuration Management, ILS, Security, Safety and Interoperability with other platform systems.
- Update and maintenance of all Equipment documentation and completed for use with suppliers and delivery to the customer, including Requirements Database (DOORS), and the Verification and Validation Requirements Matrix (VVRM)
- Completing tasks in accordance with appropriate processes and procedures to a high standard.
Essential Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
You will have knowledge and experience in several of the following areas:
- A degree-level qualification (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- Demonstrable experience of the systems engineering lifecycle, with particular focus on early lifecycle phases
- Ability to produce clear and concise technical documentation
- Ability to demonstrate and apply system-level thinking
- A proven track record in schedule adherence and achieving high standards
- Knowledge of new and existing Mode 5 IFF technologies and products
- Willing to obtain SC-level security clearance. In addition, some roles may require clearance to access caveated information, such as UK Eyes Only and ITAR
- Self-motivated with an aptitude to problem solving and ability to drive difficult issues to conclusion
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a range of technical and operational topics
- Able to work with minimum direction/supervision on complex tasks
- Confidence and ability to challenge/respond to technical/process issues.
- Systems and/or Equipment development programme experience in Air, Land or Naval Domains
- Previous experience of working with IFF systems.
- Worked with Regulatory Authorities such as QinetiQ Boscombe Down.
- Worked with DE&S customer teams.
- Previous experience in conducting End to End test planning and execution.
- Hands on experience with some of the software tools used on the programme, DOORS, System Architect, Teamcenter, SAP is preferred. Where this is not available, experience in similar toolsets with a good understanding on how the capability works is required.
- MODAF experience
- The UK Mode 5 IFF programme is based across a number of UK sites, with the Prime Contract Office in Bristol and with operating bases in the Basildon, Yeovil and Luton sites, travel will be required to these sites as required.
- This role is based in Basildon with regular travel to Bristol.
- Occasional travel outside the UK, working with suppliers, in particular in Italy.
To apply for this position, you must be eligible to live and work in the UK and either possess or be able to obtain UK MOD Security Clearance to SC Level.