Wigan, Greater Manchester
£25000 - £27000 per annum + Negotiable dependant on experience
27 days ago
Our client one of the UK's largest charities, who maintain 2,000 miles of historic canals, rivers, docks and reservoirs, are looking to recruit a Ecologist or Environmental Scientist to work in the Wigan area.
The job holder will provide the Trust with technical expertise in either Ecology or Environmental Science, with particular responsibility for a defined geographical area. Working as directed in their area of expertise, they will support and deliver the Trust's protection, improvement and promotion of the natural environment of the waterways and provide professional environmental services within their area of expertise to help achieve a wide range of corporate objectives.
- Provide expert technical advice within their area of expertise as requested.
- Contribute to the implementation of relevant Asset Management Strategies (vegetation, dredging, environmental assets) to protect, maintain, and where appropriate, enhance condition of the assets and their performance for the customer.
- Contribute to national and local programmes of engagement with customers, volunteers, stakeholders and the general public to promote the value of waterways and the work of the Trust to increase the Trust's reputation and influence and secure additional resources for our work, focusing on our key environmental priorities.
- Implement relevant inspection/monitoring and maintenance programmes for environmental/soft estate assets within their geographical remit, (re-)prioritising work to suit available resources and within delegated authority levels.
- Contribute to the implementation of an environmental management system (EMS; including associated processes & standards) especially with responsibility for monitoring application within their geographical remit; to maintenance of appropriate levels of environmental training & competency (including certification) in their local area
- Lead volunteer tasks within their area of expertise..
- Contribute to corporate targets on raising public awareness of and support for the Trust especially through interest in our environmental assets, vegetation management & dredging.
- Contribute to external engagement and fund raising locally to secure additional resources for the Trust, especially through interest in our environmental assets, vegetation management & dredging.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- Degree or equivalent in relevant discipline.
- Associate member of relevant professional institution, e.g. CIEEM, CIWEM, CIWM, IEMA, etc
- Proven postgraduate experience in application of technical knowledge within a business environment.
- Able to negotiate effectively with internal and external contacts to achieve desired outcomes for the Trust
- Able to support other areas of the Trust's business in an appropriate manner, taking account of overall business priorities
- Knowledge of, and practical experience of operating within, UK & European environmental policy and regulatory frameworks
- Experience of operating within a customer service environment
- Understanding of Trust governance, financial controls and systems of compliance