East Midlands, England
Rail Technical Team
4 months ago
Recruiting for an Environment Manager (Area) to work on a long term contract basis, based in the Midlands.
Our client are a global engineering, construction and project management company who deliver landmark projects that create long-term progress and economic growth. Their expertise includes Infrastructure, Mining & Metals, Nuclear, Security, Environmental, Oil, Gas & Chemicals in 160 countries on all seven continents.
The company and culture are built on over a century of leadership and relentless adherence to values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics and integrity.
Manage and assure the area environmental assessment work (including associated assessments) developed for the hybrid Bill for Phase Two in accordance with organisational, sponsor and parliamentary requirements.
The job holder will manage the Area Team's environmental assessment requirements and deliverables, working in close association with the rest of the Area Team (particularly the Area Route Engineers), the other Phase Two Area Teams (particularly adjacent areas), Technical Directorate and the Phase Two Central Environment Team.
- Provide client advice to develop environmental design solutions and ensure that environmental sustainability issues continue to be embedded as an integral part of the project design in accordance with the Sustainability Policy and Sustainability Approach Document.
- Support the management of consultants appointed to undertake area environmental assessment (including transport and equalities impact assessment) and design in order to input on the environmental and sustainability aspects and ensure compliance with assumptions in relation to design, construction and operation.
- Support area technical stakeholder engagement (working closely with the Central Environment Team and Stakeholder Team) via various different forums to obtain information to inform the development of the area (and, where necessary, route-wide) assessment and design and to ensure the stakeholder's environmental and sustainability requirements are understood and managed.
- Manage area environmental support to the hybrid Bill team and preparation of petition responses and reports to Select Committee.
- Support the Area Senior Environment Manager on internal and external reporting of environmental matters.
- Ensure full audit trail of key decisions and compliant data management to enable effective petition management, efficient handling of enquiries (including FOI and EIR) and to ensure that statutory requirements are met.
- Working closely with the Area Senior Environment Manager, provide area environmental input into relevant reports and briefings to Ministers to enable robust decision making.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERTISE
- Experience of managing environmental assessment (EIA) and design on large or complex
infrastructure/ engineering projects.
- Proven knowledge of EU and UK environment legislation and current best practice guidance.
- Proven ability to manage individuals, consultants and to work across multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain,
explore and discuss environmental issues to a range of stakeholders.
- Strong IT skills and proven working ability to use Office based software, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
- Good understanding of GIS, SharePoint and eB is also desirable.
- Experience of preparing/ reviewing material for and attending public consultations.
- Working under extremely tight deadlines and in a constantly changing project environment.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a relevant environmental/ built environmental discipline.
- Membership of a relevant environmental/ built environmental organisation is desirable.