East Midlands, England
Rail Technical Team
3 months ago
Recruiting for an Environment Advisor to work on a long-term contract basis, working across the East Midlands area.
Our client are a global engineering, construction and project management company who deliver landmark projects that create long-term progress and economic growth. Their expertise includes Infrastructure, Mining & Metals, Nuclear, Security, Environmental, Oil, Gas & Chemicals in 160 countries on all seven continents. The company and culture are built on over a century of leadership and relentless adherence to values, the core of which are safety, quality, ethics and integrity.
The role will support the area environmental assessment work (including associated assessments) developed for the hybrid Bill for Phase Two in accordance with organisational, sponsor and parliamentary requirements.
The job holder will support the Area Team's environmental assessment requirements and deliverables, working in close association with the rest of the Area Team, other Phase Two Area Teams (particularly adjacent areas),Technical Directorate and Phase Two Central Environment Team.
- Provide advice to support the development of environmental design solutions and ensure that environmental sustainability issues continue to be embedded as an integral part of the project design in accordance with the Sustainability Policy and Sustainability Approach Document.
- Work collaboratively with other technical specialists including engineers, construction experts, architects, property advisors, environmental and sustainability specialists to achieve high quality integrated designs and develop appropriate and cost balanced mitigation strategies and solutions.
- Work closely with the consultants appointed to undertake area environmental assessment (including transport and equalities impact assessment) and design in order to input on the environmental and sustainability aspects and ensure compliance with assumptions in relation to design, construction and operation.
- Support the review and appraisal of all area environmental deliverables produced by consultants to ensure compliance with the organisation's technical and sponsor requirements to enable them to be confidently defended before Select Committee.
- Support area technical stakeholder engagement (working closely with the Central Environment Team and Stakeholder Team)
- Working closely with the Environment Manager, provide area environmental support to the hybrid Bill team and preparation of petition responses and reports to Select Committee.
- Draft responses to general internal and external enquiries (including FOI, EIR and PQ requests) on area environmental (including EIA, TA and EqIA) matters to ensure timely, consistent, robust and assured responses.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERTISE
- Experience of environmental assessment (EIA) on large scale projects.
- Knowledge of environmental legislation and current best practice guidance.
- Proven ability to work across multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong numeracy, written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to engage with a range of stakeholders on sensitive environmental issues.
- Strong IT skills and proven working ability to use Office based software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, coupled with an aptitude towards learning and utilising new software in the office environment (training is provided in the use of the internal document management systems).
- Good understanding of GIS, SharePoint and eB is also desirable.
- Experience of preparing/ reviewing material for and attending public consultations.
- Experience of working under tight deadlines.
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in a relevant environmental/ built environmental discipline.
- Working towards membership of a relevant environmental/ built environmental organisation.