£45000 - £53000 per annum
30 days ago
Location: Woolwich, East London
The position would involve working alongside other engineers to maintain a three shift pattern comprising early, late and night shifts, on a four days on four days off basis.
The Woolwich Ferry is a free vehicle and pedestrian ferry service across the River Thames in East London. The ferry service links Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich on the south bank, to North Woolwich in the borough of Newham on the north bank. It also links two ends of the inner London orbital road routes, the North and South Circulars. In excess of two million passengers use the ferry service each year.
There has been a Thames ferry service at Woolwich since the 14th Century. The original small open hand powered vessels and thereafter paddle steamers, are a long way from the two-diesel electric battery hybrid vessels which entered service early in 2019, accompanied by the intelligent docking and locking systems (IDLS) at the north and south terminals.
The Woolwich Ferry Service is licensed and financed by London River Services, the maritime arm of Transport for London (TfL). The service is currently operated under license by a third-party contractor. Following the Mayor of London's announcement on 10th February 2020 the service will in the near future be transferred in house to Transport for London full technical management.
The transition programme to facilitate this is well under way and as part of this transition we are recruiting for Engineering Officers.
As the Engineering Officer you will be responsible for the technical upkeep of vessels and river terminal assets and their safe operation through the provision of first line mobile technical and engineering support for vessels and plant, including remote monitoring control systems and routine and planned and unplanned maintenance.
* Monitoring of the running vessels performance to provide safety assurances to the Captain to proceed with start/shutdown and technical support and guidance throughout the vessels' running time in the event of automation deviations in vessel propulsion, linkspans and auto-mooring and the re-setting of alarms
* First Line response in the event of any technical issues, requiring interrogation of the appropriate control systems, undertake physical inspections, identify cause and make sound technical recommendations for rectification where necessary liaison with 3rd party support services
* To conduct periodic checks and adherence to all routine maintenance requirements in accordance with the planned maintenance system and to coordinate necessary resources for the timely completion of planned and unplanned maintenance under the direction of the Marine Engineering Manager
* Assist with managing the preparation of vessels for dry dock and major special works and supervise externally contracted engineering works for the timely completion and quality assurance
* To understand and comply with the emergency procedures and designate responsibilities in line with the ISM code and emergency procedures
* Ensure adherence to technical standards in accordance with best practice, technical operating procedures, class and statutory regulations
* At a minimum holds an Engineer Officer of the Watch (EOOW), unlimited STCW 111/1 Certificate of Competence or
* Qualified Marine Engineer, with HND in Marine / Mechanical Engineering or equivalent qualification
* Marine Safety Management Systems and regulatory safety requirements
* Strong technical analytical and fault finding
* Engineering and mechanical workshop skills
* Ability to write technical reports
* Strong IT & computer literacy skills
* Ability to use Planned Maintenance Software
* Ability to appropriately coach and guide at all levels
* Marine Engineering
* Team & supplier performance supervision & quality control
* Electrical, electronic and control engineering
* Remote monitoring, fault diagnostic & resolution
* Maintenance and repair
* Familiarisation with the philosophy of hybrid integrated power generation and propulsion management systems
* Experience with diesel electric frequency drive propulsion system preferably with DC bus bar