Up to £1 per hour + Negotiable
5 months ago
Electronics Design Engineer
Location: Winfrith, Dorset | Duration: 6 Months | Pay Rate: Negotiable
A vacancy exists within a leading naval/marine electronics business for an Electronics Design Engineer to apply developed expertise in the design of Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) for mixed signal circuits, power circuits and radio frequency (RF) circuits.
- Create, design or maintain:
- Mixed signal circuits both from own schematics and from schematics generated by other design engineers;
- Schematics, PCB designs and Bill of Materials records using ORCAD and PCB CAD software (CADSTAR) and TeamCenter;
- PCB component libraries within the Schematic / PCB CAD and PLM systems;
- Schematic / PCB design documentation, applying effective change management and configuration control;
- Supporting documentation at an appropriate level for each project;
- Updates to Schematics and PCB designs as directed by the design engineer(s).
- Collaborate with:
- Electrical / electronic designers to ensure integrity of electrical / electronic design aspects;
- Mechanical designers to ensure integrity of mechanical and thermal design aspects.
- Liase with:
- PCB manufacturers to clarify design requirements and resolve problems encountered manufacturing bare boards;
- Contract electronics manufacturers to clarify design requirements and resolve problems encountered manufacturing populated PCB assemblies.
- Supply Chain and Manufacturing:
- Working with PCB manufacturers / assemblers to understand their production capabilities and limitations - enabling the client's PCB designs to be reliably and cost-effectively produced;
- Generating technical procurement specifications and working with suppliers;
- Discussing and solving problems with procurement and production departments, sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Managing development in accordance with the client's Engineering Process Lifecycle;
- All other duties as assigned.
- Proven ability to design complex PCB's;
- A good working knowledge of PCB and schematic design tools;
- Working within a multi-disciplined design environment.
- Design for EMC;
- Knowledge of UK MOD Defence Standards and other relevant standards;
- Some familiarity with Research & Development (R&D) processes would be beneficial during the development of prototype electronic circuits in the laboratory environment.
Additional Security Information
Due to the sensitive nature of the product, all applicants must have worked in the defence industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining a UK MOD Security Clearance (SC level minimum).