Up to £0.00 per annum
29 days ago
Electro-optic systems engineer
Primary Purpose of the Role:
The successful candidate will work as part of a team of cutting-edge Electro-Optic Systems Engineers in one or more of Thales Belfast's multi-disciplinary project teams defining and developing both product and test equipment across defence and space-borne product lines. This covers application areas such as visible & IR light generation, propagation, detection, imaging and processing.
* Working within a team of Electro-Optic Systems Engineers, you will report to the EO Functional Line Manager and to Programme/Work Package Managers. You will work closely with engineers of various disciplines across Thales sites to define, develop, build, integrate and test new products, as well as working with suppliers, sub-contractors and customers.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks:
* Electro-optic system requirements analysis.
* Electro-optic hardware development for defence and aerospace systems.
* Develop, build & integrate optical detection/imaging systems, laser beam control & steering systems and bore sight alignment solutions.
* Participation in all aspects of the product lifecycle from concept through manufacture to in-service support.
* Performance analysis of imaging systems, lasers and optical architectures using both in-house and industry standard programmes.
* Specification of sensors across the electromagnetic spectrum from the visible to the far infra-red.
* Specification of pulsed & CW lasers across the EM spectrum from the visible to the far infra-red.
* Specification of optical components & coatings.
* Work may involve occasional travel liaising with suppliers and working with colleagues at other Thales sites.
Skills, experience and qualifications ideally required:
* Sound working knowledge & understanding of physics and scientific/technological principles.
* Sound working knowledge of optical/electro-optical principles and technology.
* Evidence of application of the above in both practical and theoretical contexts.
* 3rd level Degree in Scientific/Engineering Discipline.