Cowes, Isle of Wight
Up to £40.36 per hour
10 months ago
The purpose of the role is to undertake design and design maintenance tasks for the Electrical aspects of new and legacy products for the Radar group within Product and Training Services (P&TS)
- Design of AC distribution systems including sizing, generation, protection, UPS and control across a range of power levels up to 1MW.
- Design of DC distribution systems including specification of power supplies, converters, including sizing, protection, and control.
- Motor drives, control, and positioning systems.
- Data links, data protocols, networks and servicing the requirements of procured radio communications equipment.
- EMC management and verification.
- Design verification using a combination of simulation, analysis, test techniques including support to EMC test houses and customer installation.
- Interfacing with related disciplines including systems engineering, mechanical/thermal engineering, ILS (Integrated Logistics Support), Safety, and Product Data Management.
- Specification of bespoke procured hardware.
- Contribute to progress and technical reviews.
- Contribute to bids, proposals, and estimates
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or strongly related subject.
- Previous experience of operating in a defence or high safety integrity environment.
- Familiarity with the IET 17th Edition Wiring Regulations, the Low Voltage directive, European Electrical Safety Standards, EMC standards, and applicable defence standards.
- Experience of generating component level designs for introduction into volume production.
- Integration, design proving, and defect resolution.
- Experience of EMC qualification to DEF STAN 59-411.
- A rigorous approach to the safety aspects associated with high power/high voltage equipment
- You will have a clear and concise communicative skillset, an honest hardworking approach to everyday tasks
- and an approachable manner.
- You will be organised and have the ability to deliver designs to defined timescales.
- You will be a self-starter, able to identify tasks and execute them without direct supervision.