£1.00 - £220 per day
7 months ago
Electric Systems Engineer (Pressurised Systems)Propulsion Engineer Architect - Electric Propulsion
Principal Purpose of the Position:
* Work with a team of talented and brilliant, passionate engineers to tackle difficult problems and push the boundaries of in-satellite space propulsion
* Take responsibility for the electric propulsion equipment selected for the subsystem (Hall Effect Thrusters, Gridded Ion Engines, HEMPT, PPUs etc) and technical follow-up with suppliers for the equipment qualification and procurement.
* Actively participate to subsystem tests (coupling test, EMI..) and data post-processing
* Support propulsion architects and subsystem technical leads with technical document preparation for projects, studies and bids
* Lead project technical teams for the delivery of propulsion systems, with a strong systems engineering approach, considering all 3 dimensions: technical, cost and schedule.
* To provide Systems Engineering impact to future developments and continuous improvement of our products, systems and processes.
System requirement management and derivation into propulsion subsystem requirements (SS URD & TRD)
Perform trade-off activities and architecture of new propulsion solutions
Establish development plan of propulsion subsystems & implement it throughout the product life-cycle
Technical point of contact for customers (Internal & External)
Manage and deliver technical documentation of the solution through the different life-cycle milestone & reviews (PDR, CDR, QR…)
Contribute to TAS propulsion product policy definition & ensure its implementation on new programmes
Provide technical input to future propulsion developments and contribute to continuous improvement of our products, systems and processes.
The establishment of propulsion equipment selection and technical follow-up with suppliers, propulsion subsystem development and qualification/acceptance test plan.
Planning and updating assembly, integration, test and verification schemes within the programme in cooperation with Program Management Office and other subsystems (Attitude Control, Data Handling, Electrical power , structure and thermal control).
Establishing integration and test processes and requirements for test plans, test procedures at subsystem level
Key responsibilities and tasks
* Provide technical input to the Architecture, Design and Development of the newest satellite electrical propulsion subsystems for TAS satellites and product lines. This will involve, but not be limited to
* Managing the technical requirements specification (URD) for electric propulsion equipment and interface with the equipment supplier/s
* Evaluating supplier proposal reviews in TEBs and supporting propulsion equipment definition and selection
* Preparing technical documentation for the solution through the different project life cycle milestones & reviews (PDR, CDR, QR etc)
* Support to propulsion subsystem fluid analyses and preparation of analysis reports for subsystem PDR/CDR data packs
* Prepare and manage test plans and requirements for electric thruster-PPU coupled tests and input to system level tests to characterise EMI and multi-firing effects etc.
* Lead technical trade-offs at propulsion subsystem level leading to the definition of a propulsion subsystem design.
* Support system teams & customers system level propulsion & deployment strategy (launch) trade-offs for optimisation of satellite and mission design.
* Provide Systems Engineering impact for the successful delivery of propulsion engineering aspects of TAS UK contracts
Qualifications & Skills
The following are considered essential for this role:
* Demonstrated knowledge of electric propulsion thrusters (primarily HET, GIE).
* Familiarity with testing electric propulsion thrusters
* Proven skills and proficiency in mathematical tools such as Excel/MATLAB .
The following are considered desirable for this role:
* Knowledge of space electric propulsion subsystems using plasma thrusters (HET, GIE, HEMPT…) and/or thruster electronic equipment expertise
* Demonstrated knowledge in space hardware projects through at different full stages of the life-cycle from Phase 0/A to Phase D/E
* Demonstrated knowledge of electric propulsion subsystem architectures & technologies.
* Knowledge of design/specification/testing of electric propulsion thruster power supply and processing units (PPUs)
* Demonstrated knowledge in chemical propulsion thrusters and subsystem fluid equipment (tanks, filters, valves, pressure regulators)
ADDITIONAL SECURITY INFORMATION: WE SEEK A SYSTEMS ENGINEER WHO HAS WORKED IN A MILITARY / DEFENCE ENVIRONMENT / INDUSTRY WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS OR WHO IS CAPABLE OF OBTAINING SECURITY CLEARANCE (SC LEVEL MINIMUM)