Effector Systems Engineer & Scrum Master
Location: Bristol or Stevenage (mix of on site and home working)
Duration: 6 months
Rate: Up to £50 per hour Umbrella or £38.30 per hour PAYE
This is a unique role that will split the individual's time across early phase System Engineering trade studies and deploying Scrum Master skills within an Agile approach tailored to missile engineering.
The selected candidate will become part of the Future Products department within the Emerging Portfolio & Capability function. Initially they will be deployed into the Future Combat Air System (FCAS) team to carry out this role on the FCAS Acquisition Programme. After the first phase completes there will be an opportunity to focus on either aspect of the role as they both grow.
Specifically focused around the Effectors Work Package (WP), which looks to:
- Determine how different missile concept classes can affect the performance of the top level Combat Air System (CAS) concept options
- Work to achieve an optimized CAS design
- Provide a means to include missile performance in the assessment of the CAS options (via analysis and/or demonstration against each operational scenario, requirements set, etc.)
- A role exists for a person to provide a mixture of System Engineering skills within the system trade studies scrum and Scrum Master support to both scrums within the Effectors WP. The ratio is expected initially to be 50/50; noting the Scrum Master role is new within this context in the company, so the role has the scope to evolve to meet demand. This role will work in close harmony with the Product Owner and Development Teams to ensure the success of the Work Package
System Engineer Aspects - 50%:
- To complete the agreed Product Backlog Items attributed to the scrum, and ensure they are organised and achieved to meet the definition of done for each
- Key system trades will need to be understood and managed with the other areas of the FCAS concept design in order to ensure an optimised solution is proposed
- Create and collate supporting evidence and design rationale
- Support assessment of future weapon systems, and ones within the current 2035 portfolio, against CAS level vignettes, scenarios and requirement sets
- Form strong links with existing and supporting programmes of work
Scrum Master Aspects - 50%:
- To help the Product Owner and Development team perform at their highest level as a whole Scrum team; supporting the process to enable the development team to successfully deliver
- Working to remove any impediments to progress
- Facilitate meetings
- Supporting Product Owner to ensure Product Backlog is ready for the next sprint
- Gathering team level metrics
- Ensuring Scrum is understood and enacted correctly
- Help to shield development team from outside influence and diversion from the defined sprint (unless the Product Owner changes the scope with agreement from the Developers)
- Working closely with Agile implementation work packages to help provide link to wider company use of the Agile framework
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- The confidence to embrace uncertain nature of early concept development and technologies to progress towards defining solutions and system concepts
- Strong Systems Engineering knowledge, alongside the ability and desire to test new approaches to engineering utilising new ideas to develop and oversee system trade studies
- Scrum Master proven ability/trained
- Knowledge of weapons systems and missile design, including systems trade studies is essential
- To be adaptable and flexible to changing/emerging requirements
- Ability to generate assumptions and work with uncertainty
- To be able influence a range of interdisciplinary partners to secure the right outcome
- Strong interpersonal skills with appropriate cultural awareness to work with multiple disciplinary functions supporting technology and concepting
Our Client is an award winning company; committed to providing an inclusive working environment where workers can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. They value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
Our Client want to ensure you have a positive experience throughout the recruitment process. They recognise that everyone is unique and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments.
Our Client are a proud member of Working Families - the UK's work-life balance organisation. We welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
We understand that flexibility benefits people, teams and business; wherever possible they will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working
Please Note: Our Client requires all workers to achieve the appropriate security clearance relevant to the role."