Our client is seeking a SATELLITE DIGITAL ELECTRONICS HARDWARE ENGINEER for a 6 month contract in Stevenage, Hertfordshire.
Hardware engineer for flight equipment, including the hardware aspects of requirements management, detailed design and interface specification, test specification, reports and design analyses.
Able to interpret circuit board designs accommodating multiple FPGA / ASICs and high speed ADCs / DACs.
Support to manufacture and test - may require travel to client site in Portsmouth.
Interface with many experts in other departments (e.g. radiation, EMC).
Customer interface on technical issues.
Generate, oversee and configure technical documentation.
Typical tasks, activities, responsibilities -
- Produce digital electronic board specifications, from product or architecture requirements
- Define interfaces and digital parameters.
- Consider switching speeds, pulses, rise and fall times, feedback and interference, impedance of devices, signal transmission
- Define performance criteria and define how to prove validation and verification of performance with test strategy.
- Produce circuit diagrams, iterating design where necessary due to circuit analysis outputs and PCB layout constraints.
- Detailed design analysis e.g. WCA, PSA, FMECA/FMEA
- Support detailed design at component/ equipment/ mechanical level in accordance with engineering design rules.
- Interface with internal support functions e.g. radiation, thermal and mechanical design, EMC, parts procurement
- External customer and supplier interface on technical presentations and issues
Skills / Proven Ability
- High speed electronic circuit board specification, schematic capture, component selection and related analyses.
- Lifecycle of digital equipments - design / manufacture / test, including customer interfacing.
- Sector knowledge of aerospace, automotive or military production
- Hardware used - debug and test validation of designs
- Software used - schematic capture, layout and simulation tools (e.g. Mentor Expedition)
- Standards/accreditations/methodologies - ESA/ECSS and MIL Standards
- Mentor DxDesigner.
- Requirements management (DOORS) and SoC / RFD management.
- Space industry knowledge.
- Team leadership, mentoring junior design engineers
Following a familiarisation period on site this role will be working from home; then working on site once COVID restrictions are lifted by the client - candidates must be able to work on site full time when required.