Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
£65000.00 - £75000.00 per annum
7 months ago
Morson International has entered in to a partnership with CityFibre to attract the best talent for projects up and down the UK. CityFibre is the UKs largest alternative provider of wholesale fibre network infrastructure and the builder of Gigabit Cities. They are experiencing rapid growth and we are now looking for a:
Development & Application Support Manager - Milton Keynes
To run day to day management of a small team of Developers, as well as project based outsource partners. This role reports directly to the Head of Systems and Development and will be responsible for the planning, assigning and directing CityFibre's application design, development and implementation.
While this role will still be very much hands-on, they will be responsible for managing the development and ongoing support of CityFibre's end to end solutions. Through their use of software engineering skills, the successful applicant will be part of a dynamic team, whose remit spreads across all of CityFibre OSS/BSS infrastructure. They will have an excellent understanding of the software which drives services such as Billing (Xero / SAP / generic billing systems) / CRM Systems (Salesforce) and API Services (Lamda, apache, python, php) and help support new products in CityFibre's developing infrastructure such as FTTx and Ethernet. They will understand the project life cycle, and basic project methodologies, as well as source control (GIT), and mentoring staff, documenting their code, as well as keeping the end customer in mind.
Good technical understanding of programming methodology used in today's environment as well as keeping abreast of future emerging technologies.
Capable of reverse engineering undocumented legacy systems business data models, dealing with problems, queries and requests for change relating to billing, CRM and network products. Operating to an agreed time line for resolution.
- Acting as first line support for issues raised by the users of the system.
- Monitoring the key components of the system to ensure that application servers are running smoothly with no network, memory or disk capacity issues.
- Monitoring the database server to ensure that it is operating efficiently and being backed up every day.
- Assist with the implementation of a disaster recovery system. Run quarterly tests to ensure that the DR procedures work and that we can cut over to the DR system in a reasonable amount of time.
- Scripting of repetitive tasks in magik, batch files, scripts etc.
- Occasional training / demonstration of new features.
- Assisting the developers with testing and rolling out applications.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Strong negotiation and consensus building skills when dealing with internal customers, stakeholders and team members.
- Ability to understand current/changing business processes, participation in defining application and platform functionality.
- Holds sound understanding of IT technology concepts and software architectures, development tools, CRM, Financial Systems, Jira, Source Control, etc.
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity associated with working in a fast paced and changing environment.
- Exceptional communication, problem solving and cross-group collaboration skills.
- Over 5 years within the Internet Service Provider / Telecoms industry desirable a development background is expected, with proven track record in all areas of ISP development, as well as having over 3 years in technical management.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in software development in a heterogeneous UNIX, networked environment such as Unix, FreeBSD or Linux.
- Effective documentation skills.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Effective team building experience, with strong interpersonal and motivational skills.
- Experience of communicating within a business up to senior managers.
- Ability to work effectively within a challenging organisation with flexing priorities.
- High technical competency in the software development arena.
- Experience in Configuration Management process.
- Experience in full end to end solution design would be advantageous.
- Agile methodology.
- Salesforce Experience Advantageous.
- Good knowledge of Cloud Based services such as AWS, Lambda, Bit bucket, Jira etc.
- Knowledge of GIS, such as GE Smallworld, QGIS, Network Asset Systems used in Fibre Networks would be nice.
- Knowledge of Enterprise Application Integration, ERP.
- Experience of negotiation / mediation.
- Experience in Change Management & Planned Works methodologies.
- Experience in Process Management methodologies.
- Experience in Risk & Impact Assessment.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field of study for software development. (or equivalent)
- ISP / Telecoms experience
- Development or Architecture background
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure this job description provides a comprehensive overview of the responsibilities of this role, all employees may be required to undertake other reasonable tasks as requested from time to time.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
For further information please contact Matthew Owen at Morson International.