Birmingham, West Midlands
£285 - £330 per day
Rail Technical Team
5 months ago
12 months +
Delivers cost-effective design solutions that comply with the project and statutory requirements, supporting the Senior Area Engineer. Reviews and assesses technical submissions from PSCs determining compliance with standards and requirements.
- Deliver safe and affordable design solutions that meet requirements and ensure value for money at each stage of development.
- Support PSCs, drawing on expertise from within informing and supporting the min delivering design work that complies with requirements.
- Identify and assess design risks within the project.
- Ensure technical submissions comply with the accepted format and design requirements.
- Provide technical engineering input, designs, documentation and responses supporting the hybrid bill through parliament including additional provisions, freedom of information requests, and technical requests.
- Attend public consultation and planning forums, working with local communities identifying priorities.
- Support Senior Area Engineer in liaising with external stakeholders fully capturing their input and balance that with the overall business and technical requirements.
- Explore opportunities for developing local community benefits and solutions under the direction of the Area Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering.
- Achieved or working towards professional member status.
- Demonstrable knowledge of engineering design principles achieving optimal design outputs.
- Ability to carry out robust independent checks on a wide variety of designs and produce, interpret and assess specifications, standards and technical reports.
- Ability to resolve complex design problems, demonstrating a tenacious approach tackling problems whilst maintaining attention to detail.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders, demonstrating strong influencing skills.
- Ability to communicate, engage and influence a variety of external stakeholders at public forums.
- Ability to communicate complex issues to stakeholders.
- Strong written and spoken communication skills, strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, delivering under pressure meeting tight deadlines whilst gathering input from other functions.
- Extensive experience of design and engineering, ranging from feasibility to detail design, working on a large, complex infrastructure project.
- Experience of consultant management and compliance.
Decision making:- Engineer is responsible for delivery, supporting the Senior Route Engineer, working under their guidance within broadly defined technical guidelines. Job holder makes complex technical decisions with respect to the review and assessment of engineering design, dealing with internal stakeholders and consultancies ensuring compliance with standards and regulations. Jobholder influences others in decision making, although some highly complex decision making may be made in cooperation with the Senior Area Engineer.