Defence/Aerospace Chief Engineer
Morson International are currently looking to recruit a Defence/Aerospace Chief Engineer for one of our prestigious Aerospace/Defence Clients. This is contract for 6 months.
Our Client is looking for a Chief Engineer to join their dynamic and growing engineering team to reinforce the delivery of engineering product and support to meet our Client's expanding portfolio. The post is designed to reinforce the team during a period of transition of the Chief Engineer role to reinforce delivery of the CE's duties and help ensure business continuity. The Chief Engineer has direct responsibility for a team of Chief and Lead Engineers who manage the delivery of engineering products and services to individual fixed-wing programmes, rotary-wing programmes, autonomous systems programmes and the associated assurance activities. The successful candidate will report to will liaise directly with senior programme management, fellow Chief Engineers across the company and customer equivalents to ensure the efficient and timely delivery of engineering support to meet customer contracted requirements.
This role will execute specific activities within the Chief Engineer's responsibilities, as delegated. The Chief Engineer is required to lead and coordinate a multi-disciplinary engineering team to deliver engineering products and service across a programme lifecycle in accordance with contractual and MAA regulatory requirements. The role requires the direct coordination across multi-disciplined engineering capability teams as well as coordination across other functions to ensure flawless engineering delivery to the customer. Integrated working with Client counterparts in the US and beyond is an essential part of the role.
The successful applicant will engage with a team of senior engineers and managers who:
- Are each responsible for the Safety and Product Integrity of their platform/programme
- Have final Responsibility, Accountability and Authority for the specification, configuration, design and certification/verification (including all changes)
- Are the lead for Regulatory issues and Military Aviation Authority or other appropriate regulators relationship for their programme
- Are the Customer Technical Interface for their programme
- Are the Senior Engineering leader for their programme, providing the coordinating interface which integrates the variety of engineering capabilities with other functions and programme leadership.
The successful candidate will:
- Promote Engineering Excellence and the First Time Quality across all engineering functions.
- Ensure technical conduct, progress, performance and results are executed in compliance with programme requirements, plans, programme charter and assigned Responsibility, Accountability & Authority.
- Provide senior technical leadership for Client programmes and associated proposals and be the senior technical interface to customers and suppliers.
- Provide an effective link between design, production and in-service activity.
- Establish a culture of proactive technical oversight, risk management and rapid issue resolution, providing alternative paths for issue resolution and opening dialogue on technical issues.
- Implement and enforce engineering functional excellence in people, processes, tools, and practices; drive productivity improvements through the use of Continuous Improvement disciplines; and share Best Practices and Lessons Learned. Furthermore, the Chief Engineer shall establish a culture of 'help needed' within the technical community, advocating Mission Assurance, Technical Independent Reviews, Non Advocate Reviews, and ensuring technical expertise across the enterprise are made available as required.
- Work with programme and other functional management to ensure successful delivery of Engineering products and services as part of each programme's integrated execution.
- Chair technical reviews and boards and ensure effective support to Mission Assurance activities.
- Ensure overall Technical Integrity of all engineering products.
- Act as mentor and coach to peers and the wider engineering team.
Applicants will be required to have:
- Proven background as a Chief Engineer in a dynamic and complex technical environment involving large multi-disciplined teams.
- A significant leadership background is required with demonstrated experience both leading and developing teams, delivering results in a complex matrix environment in support of business and mission critical requirements.
- Significant experience operating within the MAA regulatory environment or civil equivalent is essential.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) and corporate membership of appropriate professional institution (e.g. IET, RAeS).