Up to £350.00 per day
13 days ago
Data Centre Services Engineer
Location: Harlow, Essex
Duration: 6 Months
Rate: £350.00 per day
Our Harlow, Essex based client has an opportunity for an experienced Data Centre Services Engineer to join the core IT infrastructure organisation within their UK Information Technology function.
The function is responsible for the design, management, maintenance and upkeep of the core Data Centres and information systems in 2 main locations in the UK.
The Data Centre Services Engineer is primarily responsible for supporting the core data centres and IT infrastructure.
This role is critical to the core infrastructure service layer, requiring a highly effective technical individual who is excited by working in a multi-platform environment and is able to manage complexity and deliver key infrastructure upgrades while assuring our clients ability to deliver both internal and external services.
* Actively monitor Data Centre hardware and software for performance and capacity, ensuring responsiveness and availability of services are maintained
* Identifies, plans and executes maintenance tasks and upgrades in line with change management procedures and technical vendor guidelines to ensure quality, integrity and availability of IT services
* Execution of approved policies, programs and services related to Data Centre services.
* Reviews company and corporate policy and procedure documentation and ensures all IT systems and services remain in compliance with enterprise standards.
* Adheres to incident, problem and change management processes, minimising impact or disruption to services
* Performs daily/weekly/monthly system checks as outlined in documented checklists and KPIs.
* Plans, oversees or implements and configures newly acquired hardware and software in line with project commitments
* Provision and preparation of software across the enterprise
* Maintain system documentation and generate support procedures for the IT function ensuring first class service delivery
* Support Out of hours, expected to manage their own participation in an oncall rota with other members of the data centre and network team.
* Ensure backup schedules and data retention are aligned to corporate policies and business requirements.
* Maintain a Service Catalogue and Configuration Management Database ensuring all configuration items within the data centre are appropriately managed, configured and hardened to meet best practices for core infrastructure.
* Develop approaches to improve, streamline and automate the health status of the environment.
* Effectively manage deliverables across Incident resolution, Small Works Projects and Technical leadership of major implementation and upgrade projects.
* Adherence of SLAs and the regular reporting KPIs.
* Ensure works are completed in line with all relevant Health and Safety policies and guidelines.
* Meet IS assurance, governance and policies to ensure we operate with confidence, through effective maintenance of secure and stable IT platforms for the business, adherence to company security, accreditation and audit requirements.
* Proactively identify and manage risk via the IT Risk Management process.
* Plan, agree and participate in scheduled BCP/DR exercises.
* Ensure all services are appropriately documented and supported.
* Work in close cooperation and coordination with the Network Services Engineers and the Remote Site Services Team Leads to create a seamless user service experience.
*Knowledge of Data Centre Management, including design, infrastructure (hardware, software and network), maintenance and operations.
*Experience with infrastructure components, including but not limited to: Microsoft Server, Citrix Xendesktop, Virtualization (VMware), Brocade Fibre Channel, HP Server and Storage, Active Directory, SCCM, SCOM, backup, archive and network services.
*Expert knowledge in the implementation, support and administration of Microsoft Windows Server (2008/2012/2016)
*Administration of VMware ESX 5.5/6+ and vSphere
*Demonstrated expertise in Windows Active Directory (DNS/Group Policies)
*Experienced in Powershell
*Ability to learn complex systems and business processes and define requirements for solutions
* Excellent communication skills - written, verbal, presentation and influencing, at all levels within an organisation.
* Training and knowledge of health and Safety risk assessments, method statements and safe working practices.
* ITIL qualifications and practical application experience within a service centric organisation
* Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Engineering, Science, or Mathematics, although significant experience and track record with tertiary qualifications is acceptable.
* SC cleared or the ability to become SC cleared.
* Willingness to undertake and secure DV clearance.
* IT technical certifications (MCSE, CISSP, CDCMP, Brocade, etc)
* Experience of automation through scripting
Interested? - Hit Apply