Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Up to £15.47 per hour + Inclusive of holiday pay
4 days ago
4 Months +
Our client one of the UK's largest charities, who maintain 2,000 miles of historic canals, rivers, docks and reservoirs, is looking to recruit a Customer Service Manager to work at their office in Standedge for an initial 4 Month Contract with a review to extend.
The purpose of the role is to manage the visitor experience across the site; this includes the café, visitor centre, tunnel and nature reserve. The Customer Services Manager (CSM) will focus on joining-up the visitor offer, striving for excellence and financial sustainability and delivering a consistently high-class visitor welcome to the site. The CSM plays a central role in overseeing, coordinating and championing the experience of every visitor, making Standedge a must-see attraction, acclaimed nationally and engaged with locally.
As a key member of the Leadership Team the CSM will work strategically with colleagues within the directorate and with other teams within the Trust and externally, to drive and deliver excellence in customer service and a visitor centred approach; leading the Front of House staff and volunteers. The CSM will also work with the Weddings & Events Coordinator to ensure that income generation opportunities are maximised and closely with the Attraction Manager to ensure exhibitions and interpretive activities help build their audiences.
- Owning the visitor experience and ensuring staff and volunteers work as a team to deliver an unforgettable experience.
- Managing the Front of House staff dealing with all visitors and admissions to the site, ensuring that staff and volunteers strive to achieve key operational objectives.
- Managing the staff that operate the retail function across the site and working closely with the team to manage stock purchase & control.
- Promote Team working within and across all functions
- Maintain an overview of the presentation of the sites and the displays to the public and ensuring that any defects or issues are reported.
- Playing a key role in all projects that have an impact upon our visitors and the public.
- Undertaking a strategic approach and contributing to the forward planning and development of Visitor Services to meet the needs of the Standedge and the Trust.
- Monitoring KPIs and writing reports as and when required.
- Overseeing the recruitment of permanent and seasonal staff and volunteers and ensuring they are trained to carry out their duties efficiently and effectively.
- Create and maintain a positive culture in health & safety through clear leadership, and ensuring staff operate safely and in line with the Trust's requirements. Ensure health and safety implications are considered and managed appropriately in all work activities.
- Build a team spirit amongst the Front of House staff & volunteers through team meetings and appraisals to communicate targets & standards of performance expected.
- Managing budgets relating to the Front of House operation.
- Ensuring that normal operation procedures are followed at all times and that FoH staff are familiar with the Emergency evacuation procedures
- To work with other staff to ensure that any events on site - public and private - are adequately supervised and catered for.
- Be the main point of contact of strategic relationships with the external partners and new opportunities.
- Regularly monitor customer feedback and visitor experience reports/assessments and ensure that working with the Management Team, necessary actions are taken to improve performance.
Skills, knowledge & experience:
- Knowledge/experience of customer care and visitor services preferably in a museum context
- Knowledge / experience of managing staff rotas over two sites
- Successful track record in recruiting and developing volunteers
- Knowledge of heritage and interpretation issues
- Experience of managing staff and dealing with customers
- Excellent Communication and interpersonal skills
- Considerable people management and hands-on team leading experience including managing volunteers
- Proven experience of planning operations & staffing in a visitor-based attraction
- Ability to work in partnership with internal and external staff and organisations.
- Experience of managing budgets.
- Good understanding of Health & Safety Policy, Principles, Standards, Procedures & Guidance.
- Able to creatively & innovatively develop solutions to obstacles and challenges
- Ability to Travel between sites
- Demonstrate an interest and competency in effective museum management.
Based on 37 hours per week, will include some evenings and weekends (potenitally working until 2am on events)