Birmingham, West Midlands
£40000.00 - £55000.00 per annum
about 1 month ago
Title: Cost Estimator
To understand the inter-relationship between time cost and commercial aspects of the project life cycle, ensuring timely production of estimates, managing estimating activities across the business for projects / programmes. You will contribute to the development and continuous improvement of estimating processes and tools, working closely with Project/Programme Managers to collect data to produce and provide CAPEX & OPEX estimates to their delivery teams. You will be working with commercial colleagues to contribute to the improving capability of the cost engineering function and commercial expertise in the wider business.
You will have active involvement in the change process, understanding reasons for and factors influencing each change to the project/programme cost baseline plus the implications of such change. You will assist in the development of new processes and procedures, including the ability to provide constructive feedback.
- Responsible for producing accurate and comprehensive estimates for Projects or programmes (both CAPEX and OPEX) in a timely and efficient manner with limited management and supervision. All estimates are produced in accordance with procedures, systems and processes.
- Work with Project/Programme Teams, to collect and analyse data in order to produce and deliver an estimate in a timely manner.
- Reading plans and specifications and completing take-offs to produce Bill of Quantities for the estimates and to act as a source of advice on estimating matters.
- Estimate time, productivity/utilisation rate, forecast cost of People, Plant & Material, equipment, charges, etc required to provide works or a service to build up item rates or analyse available rates using standard Method of Measurement for Works in the preparation of all estimates.
- Develop and promote estimating good practice within the Cost Planning team.
- Stay abreast of developments within own technical area of expertise to be able to give best practice advice in line with business objectives
- Utilise estimating softwares and excel spreadsheets effectively.
- Lead and mentor new starters and developing members (assistant cost engineers, graduate cost engineers and Apprentices) of the team, providing support and when required deputising for the Estimating Manager.
- Minimum qualification at degree level in the following disciplines Civil Engineering / Quantity Surveying / Estimation;
- Sound knowledge and experience as an Estimator / Cost Engineer / Quantity Surveyor in the Civil Engineering sector, with a track record for delivery;
- Strong numerical and data analysis skills;
- Good communication skills and the ability to engage with stakeholders at all levels
- Experience in using appropriate IT estimation systems and tools (Cost Os, cost X, Candy or equivalent).
For further information please contact Jack Dawkins on