Up to £38.00 per hour
12 months ago
Looking for a strong composite research engineer to join our process development team, a customer-focused engineer who can work with challenging customers to distil from them a statement of requirements, and plan out activities showing due consideration of quality, cost and time. Technically, this person will be able to deliver a forming and/or infusion strategy for a complex part, practically deliver the infusion along with other team members to the high standard required, before documenting the process and delivering a report back to the customer.
Hands-on technical ability is crucial, along with the behavioural competencies to work closely with customers and communicate project needs to team members. An academic background is likely, though we value industrial experience highly, particularly in aerospace and/or wind energy. They will need a high level of knowledge of composites manufacturing processes, ideally with a real-world practical application.
To solve and appraise technical engineering tasks in line with project requirements. This will be in a range of complex and non-complex contexts.
- Identify the need for a literature survey to be completed. You will review and assess completed surveys to provide technical direction utilising your advanced knowledge of client and industry best practice.
- Analyse and assess how the clients engineering capability can be developed by strategically aligning technology development to the short and medium-term technology roadmaps.
- Solve a range of complex and non-routine tasks to support project requirements by analysing and comparing mathematical and scientific theory and by assessing practical tasks.
- You will provide technical or specialist knowledge and guidance to RE's.
- Review and justify innovative approaches to direct and appraise technical solutions in a range of complex and non-routine contexts. You have substantial technical autonomy in your specialist area. This level of innovation is evolutionary and may include a new concept to replace the primary function of an existing process or capability and is medium-high risk.
- Review and appraise technical documents. Construct project proposals by integrating multi-disciplined technical activities for the statement of work.
- Ensure the appropriate capture and dissemination of technical information to internal and external customers to strengthen customer relationships.
- Build and develop collaborative working opportunities internally and externally at a national level. You will have a technical network and foster an environment that emphasises knowledge sharing and multi-disciplined and/or cross-functional participation.
- You will expand your sphere of influence to better position the client's technical capability to create new collaborative opportunities.
- Provide advice and direction on the types of technical collaboration to pursue that will be of benefit to the client.
- Masters in Mechanical/ Materials Engineering or other relevant degree/qualification
- Or significant engineering experience with non-composite materials
- Significant composite engineering work experience
- PhD in specialist area
- Proven ability to analyse and review technical solutions and justify substantiated conclusions
- Competently address engineering problems involving some uncertainty, and non-routine technical and non-technical factors
- Demonstrable ability to justify alternative engineering approaches and compare potential outcomes against appropriate criteria to justify an optimal or new engineering concept
- Understands and shows the value of alternative and multi-disciplined viewpoints, academic advice and the importance of professional networking
- Awareness of broader fields of science, engineering and technology from which new ideas and interfaces may be drawn and readily engages with professionals from these fields to exchange ideas and exploit collaboration opportunities
- Proven ability to seek out new developments in your engineering specialisation and apply advanced knowledge and systematic processes to analyse and assess potential
- Able to prepare exemplary engineering documents and presentations pertinent to the audience
- Able to represent the clients short/medium term strategic technical engineering position to the broader community
- Able to express advanced and a range of complex technical information effectively and succinctly, issuing instruction, engaging in discussion, justifying arguments, debating and negotiating - to technical and non-technical audiences and using appropriate media best suited to the audience and context
- Has professional gravitas, smart and confident as a technical ambassador of the client
- Understands the importance of being a member of a professional technical community, learning from its knowledge and standards and able to actively contribute to its advancement