negotiable hourly rate
26 days ago
We seek a Systems Engineer for a 6 month contract based in Southampton.
The candidate will perform Systems Engineering activities covering the full lifecycle for system design and integration of satellite, HF and UHF communications systems into Land and Maritime Platforms. The Systems Engineer has responsibility for the technical solution, in support of the Programme SDA, which will include work in a partnering environment with the project team, suppliers, customer, users and other relevant stakeholders to develop a technical solution to meet the requirements.
This role is key to ensuring a high level of design integrity in terms of structuring reviews, checking that a record of design documentation and evidence is built up that is sufficient to meet the integrity needs of the project, and providing a level of independence to challenge assumptions and decisions; thereby ensuring that delivered system meets the customer requirements for function, performance and qualification in all its aspects.
- Developing the solution architecture for optimum cost effectiveness and SRD compliance.
- Establishing overall system level requirements and their subsequent derived requirements for flow down to the lower level subsystems.
- Supporting the main project engineering reviews and contribute to producing the main engineering deliverables (Design descriptions, ICDs, specifications etc.) at each project decision milestone.
- Produce system architectures and derive requirements at all system and sub system levels
- Produce sub-system, product and work breakdown structures and associated work package estimations
- Assessing the Solution architecture and technical choices in order to ensure the best solution is realised within consistent with schedule, costs, make-or-buy strategy
- Work with multiple stakeholders to finalise system design.
- Support to sub-contract reviews, answering questions raised by sub-contractor
- Responsible for requirements change management, coordinate with internal and external stakeholders, and understand technical and cost impacts.
- Ensuring the solution architectural design satisfies the customer needs, and that the technical risks are identified and mitigated.
- Alerting and escalating technical issues to the System Design Authority as required through effective issues and risk management
- Preparation of System/Subsystem Test and Integration Specifications
- Integration, Qualification & Test of equipment and sub-systems
- Ensure that the integrated designs meet:
- Legislative validation and certification
- Functional safety and sign-off for production
- Transversal requirements, including shock / vibration in a land environment
- EMC and Information Assurance requirements
- Provide support to Test Evaluation and Acceptance Manager for TEA activities to obtain Customer acceptance of the system
- Effective management and execution of project Work Packages.
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Understanding of Systems Engineering activities on multiple applications/projects.
- Understanding of systems design, integration & test.
- Understanding of the whole product lifecycle (concept generation, concept demonstration, development, production and in-service support).
- Background inDataComms,SatComms and secure networks
- Background in RF Comms desirable
- Awareness of formal user requirements capture,traceability and compliance management methodology and tool.
- Ability in IBM DOORS tool is desirable
- Awareness of the application of transversal engineering disciplines (Environmental & EMC Qualification, Safety, Security, Information Assurance, Human Factors, ARM&T).
- Knowledge from within UK MOD and other defence related areas.
- Good inter-personal skills with the ability to communicate to all levels within the organisation and externally
- Cost and Schedule planning Awareness.