£280.00 - £320.00 per day
5 months ago
A leading Aerospace manufacturers based near Luton Airport are recruiting for a Commodity Buyer to join on an interim basis for 6 months initially. Although an extension is likely or the option to be taken on permanent.
Purpose of Role
A dynamic and proactive Aero/defence business is recruiting a Senior Commodity Buyer. Applicants need excellent supplier relationship skills, the ability to source new suppliers and ideally have experience within a manufacturing environment.
Actively working across a variety of projects, the role will see the Senior Commodity Buyer source nationally and internationally, negotiate with existing and new suppliers and sourcing a range of products from composites, chemicals and raw materials.
The Senior Commodity Buyer will take full end to end ownership of one or several assigned commodity portfolios, with responsibility for the design and execution of sourcing and supply chain strategy. The Senior Commodity Buyer will play a key role in the continued optimisation of the Supply Chain, delivering year on year cost savings in support of the growth targets for the business.
The Senior Commodity Buyer will be tasked with leading complex, cross commodity negotiations, within commodities such as Electrical Components, Wiring, Composites, Chemicals, Fabrication & Machining, Optics, AGS & Fasteners. An understanding of a commercial environment is key, working across multiple product lines, with key deliverables in place, against dedicated timelines. Knowledge of implementation and management of Supplier Contracts would also be an advantage to this position.
Work content will require minimal supervision and will contain a variety of simple and complex suppliers. This is a hands on, strategic focused role ensuring operational realisation is achieved, within a fast paced manufacturing environment, operating to the highest standards.
Develop supplier relationships to optimise cost, quality, innovation, ensure continuity and security of supply, collaboration, risk and opportunity exploitation all key parameters to develop product and business winning differentiators.
Value Creation Areas of Influence:
* Cross disciplined evaluation, selection and development of suppliers - leading Make / Buy decisions when required within level of delegated authority
* Drive and lead the generation and review of 'appropriate' specifications and Statement of Work
* Objective review of the requirements and solutions being provided
* Early involvement in product technology requirements with influence to cost, availability, exportability, manufacturability etc.
* Active management of the supply base and supply chain as it affects performance
* Networking within and across the company, developing strong relationships in key areas
* Good understanding of the Procurement / Supply Chain Lifecycle
* Good negotiation and influencing skills
* Good understanding of Kraljic and Relationship Matrix
* Proactively managing Supplier & In house KPIs
* Be responsible for managing risk across the supply base for all defined commodities
* Be accountable for the success or failure of the suppliers performance
* Actively support the Senior Commodity Manager and Group Head of Supply Chain SPG to meet & deliver programme and company objectives
* Experience of designing & implementing Commodity strategy and turning to operational reality
* Evidence of delivering savings/value from existing suppliers and contracts
Key roles and responsibilities
* Develop and implement robust commodity strategies to support the with business objectives.
* Work with internal stakeholders in order to understand Internal Customer demand
* Develop and monitor cost / lead-time reduction targets, by demonstrating value at reviews
* Leads, evaluates and negotiates tender/Request for Quotation (RFQ) process
* Capture Engineering requirements and commercially communicate to the supply base
* Negotiates best terms (price, payment terms, lead time, Ts & Cs, etc.) with supply base,
* Understands price analysis and can interrogate the Suppliers price to determine if fair and equitable
* Receive requisitions and demands, process purchase orders in accordance with procurement processes and procedures
* Has a sound understanding of Ts & Cs and confident to negotiate and good legal awareness surrounding contractual management
* Create and manage relevant KPIs and SLAs to manage supplier performance across NPI, Quality, Risk, Cost, and Supply criteria to identify potential problems early enough for corrective actions to be taken Prepares procurement documents to support handling of bidding processes and analysis and evaluation of bid results
* Solves complex problems and exercises judgement based on an analysis of multiple / disparate sources of information
* Runs MRP (SAP), and executes subsequent demand, to ensure that goods are available in a timely manner to support operational plans
* Good understanding and knowledge of Bill of Materials (BOM) structure
* Ensures compliance to government laws, regulations and procurement policies and procedures
* Maintains current and accurate purchase order data in ERP
* Resolves discrepancies between supplier performance and purchase order requirements
* Demonstrates flexibility with working in a variety of commodities
* Experience of implementing Supplier Relationship Management techniques / tools with suppliers (RMMs, Score Cards, Monthly Performance Reviews (MPRs), Quarterly
Business Reviews (QBRs), Communications Plans, Risk Management, DnB report, Sanctions list etc.)
* Manage risk proactively within the Supply Chain incorporating the use of risk registers / Kraljic methods and regular reviews with high risk suppliers
* Confident and able when the SCM delegates responsibilities to the Senior Buyer to ensure tasks / actions are communicated and completed against deadlines
Skills / Knowledge / Experience Required
* Degree or equivalent in Business Studies, Electronics / Mechanical / Aerospace / Manufacturing Engineering - Not essential
* CIPS Qualification (MCIPS) or Equivalent to minimum of level 5
* APICS CPIM desirable
* Defence / Aerospace exposure would be highly beneficial
* Demonstrates experience in "direct" principles and practices procurement, gained in a fast-moving Manufacturing environment is desirable
* Good negotiation and influencing skills and able to manage a variety of relationships both vertically and horizontally
* Experience running the tender process
* A good understanding of the Legal Aspects associated with contracting within the Defence/Aerospace industry
* A good understanding of the Export Controls (including ITAR & EAR) associated with contracting within the Defence/Aerospace industry is desirable
* Proficient in MS Office Suite and database management skills
* Experience with MRP / ERP Systems. SAP is desirable
* Experience and adaptable working in IPTs or Commodities environments
* Strong communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to successfully work cross functionally within the business
* Well organised, with solid judgement, able to multitask and adjust to changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
* High level of motivation and professionalism is required
* Good analytical and numerical skills as well as planning capabilities
If the Commodity Buyer position is of interest please apply of contact Matthew Crook on 0161 707 1516/