Leeds, West Yorkshire
£450 - £550 per day
Rail Technical Team
7 months ago
A leading client in the Rail Industry is looking to recruit a Temporary Commercial Manager to work within its Rail North partnership team for a period of up to 3 months. Based at client offices in Leeds.
In addition, the Commercial Manager will be accountable for the following key competencies within the role:
* Lead and manage commercial relationships, including the negotiation of variations to contractual obligations, ensuring outcomes are consistent with affordability constraints, represent value for money and are in the taxpayers and passenger's interests.
* Ensure contractual obligations are delivered including franchise payments. The relationship needs to be managed in such a way as to maximise revenue and passenger benefits while minimising risk to the taxpayer and thereby protect the long-term value of the franchise.
* Advising Ministers, Board members and Rail Executive Directors on matters relating to the commercial relationship/contractual delivery including supporting the Ministerial team in its parliamentary business. Rail operators and their contracts come under significant levels of parliamentary and public scrutiny.
* Minimise risk to the taxpayers and minimise contractual claims against.
* Protect and promote the long-term value of the franchise by ensuring continued operation within appropriate liquidity levels, closely managing and mitigating against the risk of default.
* Validate franchise payments and receipts.
* Effective use of management information to challenge the franchisee on operational, project and financial performance, highlighting key trends and issues using data, allocating resources effectively and putting in place improvement plans when necessary.
* Actively assisting the senior leadership team with the management and development of the team and contributing to wider management.
* Providing robust financial and resource management and seeking to deliver efficiencies and secure cost saving opportunities.
* Working collaboratively with finance colleagues to provide robust cash flow forecasts and end of year risk adjusted outturn cost estimates.
Skills and experience
* Substantial knowledge of the transport industry with deep specialist knowledge in rail franchise service area.
* Evidence of rail industry commercial environment and ability to develop credible relationships with industry leaders at executive level.
* Demonstrable experience of leading large and complex programmes of work.
* Experience in developing and evaluating business cases for major commercial changes.
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence a wide range of stakeholders, partners and senior colleagues.
* Subject matter expert in programme and project management.
* Experience of leading a team in a senior level role.
* Proven financial management skills and commercial acumen.
* Programme management experience, and significant project management experience across a range of highly-complex projects.
* Leads the management of a programme which contain a range of complex projects.