£30000.00 - £48000.00 per annum + good benefits
6 months ago
Role: Civil Engineer - UK Nuclear New Build
Location: Bristol, close to M4/M5 junction
Salary: £30-48k + excellent benefits
Start: January 2019 onwards
An exciting opportunity exists for a Civil Engineer with large structures design experience (especially reinforced concrete) and knowledge of relevant civil engineering Eurocodes to work as a Civil Engineer for our prestigious client in helping to design the next fleet of nuclear power stations in the UK.
This role will be based in NW Bristol, 2 minutes' drive off of the M4 / M5 junction
The Civil Engineer will be responsible for ensuring the production and monitoring of the civil engineering of the buildings on the nuclear island to which they are assigned and propose technical solutions. This will include liaising between the field and the office, ensuring the civil / layout designs being produced reflect the information being obtained / fed back from the site, and vice-versa .
They will directly receive work assignments from and report to the Group Leader.
A lot of this role will involve coordinating activities, modifications, etc with less of the hard technical civil calculations activities
Therefore, applicants will ideally have some previous civil design engineering experience. Some Project Management experience / qualifications would also be advantageous but is not essential.
Previous experience of work in the nuclear industry would be advantageous, whilst other experience of work on 'heavy' regulated industry projects would also be useful.
Civil Engineering design of the diesel building
- Receive, analyse and verify the consistency of the input data.
- Produce the deliverables for which they are responsible (assumption notes, technical specifications, calculation notes, load drawings, load reports).
- Coordinate the work of CAD Designer in conjunction with the Design Office Manager.
- Create and maintain and be responsible for the Design Risk Register
Support in the monitoring of the civil engineering design offices
Under the responsibility of the group leader and in relation with contract engineers for designer contracts:
- Make the necessary clarifications to the documents within client's scope (answer questions from design office).
- Support the contract engineer in any follow-up meeting with the design office
- Surveillance of calculation notes issued by the design office for diesel buildings
- Perform technical verification of the calculations made by the design office through modelisation and calculations made by himself
- Contribute to surveillance of civil execution drawings for diesel buildings
Support in the monitoring of the method statement of the Main Civil Work Contractor
Under the responsibility of the group leader and in relation with contract engineers for main civil work contract:
- Make the necessary clarifications to the documents within client's scope.
- Contribute to surveillance of method statement of the main civil work contractor
Progress monitoring and change management
- Prepare and chair progress meetings within their scope of activity (internal or external).
- Manage and monitor the modifications requested by the various engineering teams.
- Anticipate & raise alerts on open technical points.
- Will support the other building teams with expertise on Civil Works detailed design
- Works closely with the Group Leader, Layout Coordinator and Layout Engineers.
- Will develop civil design solutions, describe them in CAD-tasks and coordinate the correct implementation into the PDMS-3D Model by the CAD Designer.
- Maintain the interface with other Civil Work Teams inside the Responsible Designer Organisation as well as the interface with the Civil Works Detail Designer and equipment suppliers.
For the right candidate, our client can offer a competitive salary along with a good benefits package and the opportunity to work for a respected and ambitious company at the forefront of the UK nuclear new build industry offering excellent prospects for future career development and advancement.