16 days ago
Morson Technical Services
Morson are currently recruiting for a Construction Design and Management (CDM) Advisors to be based in Bristol.
As demand for our expertise continues to grow, an opportunity has arisen for a candidate with a Civil Engineering background to support the Nuclear client business unit based predominantly in Bristol. It is possible that future work will be based in other locations around the UK such as new build construction sites, e.g. Hinkley in Somerset, Sizewell in Suffolk/London, Moorside in Cumbria, and Bradwell in Essex. This role will primarily be to support the UK Nuclear New Build (NNB) programme.
We are looking for candidates looking to take the next career move to Senior Engineer level. Demonstrable experience of undertaking the formal role of a CDM Advisor or having TechIOSH or GradIOSH would be an advantage for the successful applicant, and we are primarily looking for candidates who are self-starters, proactive, capable and willing to challenge senior personnel from the customer and their contract partners.
This is an excellent opportunity for individuals with an engineering background (mechanical, electrical, process or civil) who are looking to develop and progress in this area. We would particularly welcome applications from those early in their career with the desire to specialise in this field. Experience within the nuclear industry is desirable, however this role would also suit individuals with a background in operations or construction. Previous experience of directly interfacing with customers, regulators (e.g. ONR, Network Rail, or similar),
A wide ranging technical knowledge and educational base are required to ensure the delivery of challenging projects and customer targets.
* To provide advice and guidance on compliance with the requirements of the CDM Regulations 2015 and other key UK H&S Regulations
* Ensuring compliance with relevant Designer/Principal Designer standards to ensure the legal responsibilities and the project specific requirements are met
* Work with clients, designers and contractors to ensure fit for purpose implementation of CDM 2015, and promote good communications between all parties
* Champion relevant good practices in conventional health and safety across all hazardous activities
* Ensure designs are reviewed to eliminate hazards and mitigate any residual design risk, reducing risks as low as is reasonably practicable
* Ensure the design is reviewed on a regular basis and agree a review schedule with the designers
* Undertake surveillance of design risk registers and associated documents to ensure hazards, risks and safe systems of work are adequately communicated
* Assess designer and contractor capability and on-going performance
* Ensure that health and safety is built in to the whole end to end process
* Ensure arrangements are in place to monitor and satisfactorily close out any design changes that impact the health and safety of the design that arise during the construction phase
* Travelling within the UK and Europe to contribute to design, layout and constructability reviews and provide training and assessment of performance
* Work to enhance safety culture in design and on site
* Manage production of Health and Safety Files
* Report on progress and highlight areas of concern
* Strong safety culture, proactive and willing to intervene and challenge as required
* An accredited Bachelors (BEng/BSc) degree or higher in Civil Engineering or equivalent demonstrable experience
* Membership of a relevant professional body e.g. Tech IOSH, CMIOSH, or Grad IOSH status
* Validated Continuing Professional Development (CPD) in the field of Health and Safety (e.g.NEBOSH Construction Certificate, Member of ICE H&S Register, MaPS, etc.)
* In lieu of nuclear experience, experience in similarly high regulatory industries, e.g. offshore/onshore oil & gas, rail or similar shall be considered
* Demonstrable, transferable skills within the field of CDM, Safety and Construction, with experience of mega projects preferred
* A full, clean UK driver's license would be highly advantageous