£40000 - £45000 per annum + Negotiable | Dependant on Experience
12 days ago
Job Title: Calibration Engineer (Alternatively Fuelled HGV Vehicles)
Location: Aintree, Liverpool
Rate of Pay: Circulating £40,000 - £45,000 Negotiable Dependent Upon Experience
About the Company
Our Client is a small, yet rapidly expanding company who are looking to recruit an intuitive, self-starting individual to join their team, based in Liverpool. They are involved in the Low Volume manufacture, installation and commercialisation of alternative fuelled, low carbon commercial vehicles, primarily diesel hydrogen dual fuel.
About the role
Reporting to the Chief Engineer, the individual will provide and become the lead expertise in the company for the continued development of the vehicle and engine control strategies employed on the clients core hydrogen dual fuel technology, as well as providing similar, for our hydrogen fuel cell vehicle conversions and future developments of 100% hydrogen combustion systems.
This will include definition of control strategy changes and calibration developments on individual vehicle platforms, as well as applying and building wider knowledge on industry developments in engine and emissions control strategies, trends in technology developments in combustion systems and opportunities for further innovation in the deployment of hydrogen technologies.
The role will be based at the client's facility in Liverpool, however travel to customer sites within the UK and occasionally overseas will be expected.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Gain a working knowledge of the calibration of hydrogen dual fuel, H2ICED® technology, to enable optimisation on individual vehicles to meet both vehicle performance requirements, as well as delivering the emission reduction benefits of the technology
* On-road calibration of H2ICED® system on new and in-service vehicles
* Define strategy changes as required to optimise and improve the performance of the H2ICED® system, and manage the relationship with our ECU supplier(s) to ensure these changes are delivered to meet our needs
* Develop expertise in how the technology performs in different duty cycles and operational environments with respect to energy use and emission standards, which will provide insight into the longer-term development requirements
* Perform detailed analysis of CAN based vehicle data to assist with the above
* Advise on the selection of appropriate control system hardware
* Assist in continuing development of innovative control strategies for the development work in the company on fuel cell range extended electric vehicle platforms
* Assist in R&D work in the development of zero emission, 100% hydrogen combustion technology
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
* Engineering Apprenticeship, Engineering Degree or HNC together with hands on calibration experience of calibration of petrol or diesel engine vehicles. Relevant experience is more important than qualifications.
* Excellent working knowledge of vehicle Canbus protocols especially J1939
* Experience of using PC Can tools such as Busmaster or Canalyser
* Up to date knowledge of diesel engine control strategies
* Experience of control strategies employed in engine management systems
* Experience with selection and programming of electronic controllers
* Excel as a team player and strive to maximise team performance
* Must be a "self-starter" and perform outlined tasks with limited direct supervision and able to demonstrate a high degree of initiative
* Must establish and evaluate priorities to assure all tasks are completed to satisfactory performance
* Ability to maintain confidentiality
Benefits and other info
* Salary Negotiable Circulating £40,000 per annum
* Accessible location situated on the outskirts of Liverpool
* Onsite Parking
* Permanent opportunity with a rapidly expanding company
* Further package details to be confirmed
If you're interested in the above position, please apply with an up to date CV and a short Covering statement detailing why you think you would be a good match for this position. Alternatively, you can email attaching the documents, please address the email to Tom Grundy.