£50.00 - £55.00 per hour
Phil Dobbins MREC Dip.R.P
about 1 month ago
The role holder shall provide Control and Instrumentation engineering expertise on assigned projects, ensuring that compliance with appropriate standards, specifications and legislation are followed across the whole project life-cycle, supervising all associated work and technically reviewing the output before, during and after implementation, providing engineering assurance to the Lead EC&I Engineer that adequate project specification, analysis, verification and assessment of engineering deliverables have been implemented.
The key accountabilities are as follows:-
- Assuring compliance of engineering work packages with company, legal, regulatory and business requirements by checking, approving and accepting documentation on behalf of UUK. This includes adequate project specifications, analysis, verification or assessment of engineering deliverables for the UUK nuclear licensed site.
- Providing feedback and assisting in the continuous improvement of existing company procedures and processes.
- Providing design and engineering expertise in accordance with defined standards and procedures, ensuring the use of fit for purpose international, UK and nuclear industry standards and specifications on UUK engineering projects.
- Following engineering configuration control procedures and processes and ensuring that the overall design intent and integrity is maintained throughout design development and any subsequent changes.
- Advising and developing sound engineering solutions in accordance with company engineering procedures, safety case and nuclear site license requirements.
- Stakeholder management of internal customers, in-house/external consultancy disciplines, regulatory bodies (where applicable) and other interfaces, where appropriate.
- Maintaining SQEP status through demonstration of annual CPD plans and records.
The key responsibilities are as follows:-
- To provide design/engineering input into the preparation of project schedules, estimates, forecasts, resource forecasts, progress reports and application of Change Control.
- To exercise authority and control over the activities of external design teams/contractors, and to regularly engage with and technically supervise these teams in producing engineering solutions of appropriate quality.
- To formally accept externally generated documents on behalf of UUK, such that the engineering arguments contained within are reasonable and acceptable to UUK, and that due process has been followed.
- To ensure that conventional health, safety and environmental matters and nuclear safety protection requirements/mitigation measures are embodied in engineering designs.
- To support the review of work package tender assessments and providing engineering support to the procurement team during tender evaluations process, where relevant.
- To assess and approve engineering concessions and technical queries and engage with the Lead EC&I Engineer and/or Design Engineering Manager to advise and guide the development of engineering solutions.
- To inform the Lead EC&I Engineer of any conflicts in meeting the demands of their projects and/or their own accountabilities in a timely manner.
- To prepare, review and/or accept design/quality plans for single and multi-discipline work packages and to implement appropriate engineering reviews accordingly, including:- formal design reviews, HAZOP's, optioneering studies, construction/installation reviews, etc.
- To demonstrate that competent SQEP resource have been appointed and used to deliver design work packages.
- To support the continuous improvement of the engineering design process and capture best practice, Operational Experience Feedback (OEF) and Learning from Experience (LFE) to ensure that it meets UUK and UK legal requirements.
- To produce high quality specifications/scopes of work for contractors specifying design requirements, deliverables, processes and procedures to be followed, timescales for delivery, verification requirements, etc;
- To provide engineering expertise and technical advice to the wider business, where applicable.
The role holder shall be able to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and experience:-
- Degree qualified (BEng or MEng) in applicable engineering discipline or equivalent subject (preferable).
- Chartered Engineer (preferable) and professional membership with a relevant engineering institution.
- Minimum six years within the last ten years, preferably within the nuclear, or within a highly regulated and quality controlled industry such as oil/gas, power generation plant or pharmaceutical in roles reliant on professional engineering judgement.
- Good, broad understanding of other engineering disciplines, technologies, plant systems and processes that are present in the company.
- Understanding of UK nuclear regulatory requirements, Nuclear Site Licence Conditions and their application in engineering design.
- Experience of complying with legal and regulatory standards and working with appropriate national, international and nuclear specific design codes and standards.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including report writing, presentations, negotiations and customer facing skills.
- Knowledge, understanding and experience of NEC3 contracts, with experience of preparing Works Information documentation.
- Experience of producing high quality technical documentation, including function and technical specifications and project documentation.
- Experience of supervising/managing staff/agency/contractor resources and working with contractors/supply chain to deliver on budget and to schedule.
- Excellent IT skills, including MS Office applications and Documentum.
- Ability to assess problems, feasibility and develop practical solutions.
- Good working knowledge of identifying hazards in a project lifecycle, applying the principles of prevention and recording design decisions in the assessment of hazards/risks.
- Ability to successfully obtain SC security clearance.
- Ability to successfully obtain 'person(substation)' status for access to National Grid Gridyards.
- Familiarity with GE DS Agile Digital Control Systems will be an advantage.
- Familiarity with Schneider MiCOM protection relays and S1 Studio Software will also be an advantage.