£18.00 - £23.00 per hour
24 days ago
Morson International is looking for Buyer for our client based in Portsmouth.
Under general direction of the Supply Chain Section Leader the role arranges and structured the Purchasing function to effectively procure all materials to support the business in a timely and cost effective manner. Including, specialised commodities of a complex nature requiring substantial experience in purchasing management of contracting and purchasing policy and procedure. Negotiation for the purchase of supplies, equipment and services performing administrative activities in support of the purchasing function and related work as required.
- Ensures and maintains an effective and timely order management and acknowledgement system supported by appropriate KPI's.
- Ensures an effective system of vendor management to support f/c promise credibility, effective expediting and timely delivery of all purchased products.
- Sets up and manages appropriate supply methods to minimise inventory holding (i.e consignment agreements) and provide effective line side delivery (i.e Kanban)
- Receives and reviews requisitions for accuracy; confers with departmental representatives to determine specific needs, taking into account budget allocations, market conditions and availability.
- Prepares and reviews departmental workload statistics; advises the Department head regarding the proper allocation of commodity assignments to buyers, and monitors the work of buyers and support staff.
- Researches sources of supply by reading current periodicals and product literature, interviewing marketing representatives and evaluating sample products to support business systems.
- Prepares complex requests for bid and contacts vendors for bid quotations; analyses bids received; issues purchase orders; prepares and monitors contracts, outlining performance standards, tolerances, warranties, and maintenance requirements.
- Provides technical support and conducts training for staff.
- Works with departments within the business to become acquainted with their specific needs; notifies departments of new products and arranges for samples and demonstrations.
- Investigates sensitive or unusual issues or complaints regarding vendors/products; provides guidance and assistance to vendors and County departments; reviews, analyzes, and interprets legislative data pertinent to procurement.
- Interprets departmental policies and regulations governing purchasing activities and the awarding of contracts.
- Reviews procedure manuals and training materials to ensure that changes in law, policy, and procedure are properly reflected in all the Purchasing Department's published materials. Assists the Head of Scheduling & Logistics in the production of training materials and presentations.
- Acts as Head of Department in his/her absence and performs other administrative tasks as required.Theory and practices of purchasing, including effective vendor management techniques , KPI's, ethics, standards, bid preparation and evaluation, competitive bidding procedures, quality control; data collection techniques for establishing sources of supply, product, and vendor information; market research techniques; general law of contracts; statistical analysis; accounting and budgetary controls; office procedures; use of office automation to assist in the purchasing function; general computer applications used in business, such as spreadsheet, data base, word processing software.
- Personal Characteristics:
- Should be an effective communicator at all levels with both colleagues and customers
- Show an ability to manage internal issues and efficiently interface with customer
- Able to lead successful negotiation at a senior level involving both technical and Procurement issues.
- Must have the ability to work under pressure within tight time frames necessitating close working relations with other management colleagues.
- Must be able to effectively work within the team. Someone who knows when to role their sleeves and contribute on a day to day basis.
- Credibility to build relationships with and influence managers.