An opportunity has arisen for a Bid & Proposal Manager to join the team with our prestigious client
Primary Purpose of the Role:
The purpose of this job is to be the person in charge of specific bid-management activities to ensure the successful delivery of a bid or a number of bids.
It requires professional bid management capabilities to be applied - giving rigour to change control, commercial awareness and stakeholder management.
The role is required to bring structure, clarity and governance to the process and discipline relating to bid management activities.
It requires the successful management of the relationship with internal and external key UK and international customers.
It requires the effective management of multi-disciplinary bid teams to deliver high quality business winning proposals.
A requirement of the role is to apply strong business acumen and to maximise the Business position to secure new business.
Reports to more senior Bid and / or Project Management positions.
Interfaces with Customers and Suppliers
Works directly with Capture Lead on an opportunity specific basis.
Has regular liaison with the Quality Assurance Manager for Bids
Is part of the Bid Leadership Team (Capture Leader, Bid Manager and Project Director) or other Bid Team Members
Regular liaison with other Bid Team Members for coordination, action tracking and facilitating the Bid Data Repository
Liaison with internal comms team in preparing general progress information and updates
Has regular liaison with other business functions, including Technical, Finance, Commercial, Legal, Health & Safety, Operations
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
Undertake the activities that will ensure the successful deliver of the bid (or bids). This will typically include (but is not limited to) the following:
* Bring structure, clarity and governance to the process and discipline relating to bid management activities.
* Manage the preparation of prequalification response submissions to customers with the objective of securing an invitation to bid.
* Participate in Bid Kick-Off meetings, providing bid management direction and engagement with the Bid Team
* Manage the creation of the bid deliverable and ensuring review and governance, leading to the creation of a high quality proposal.
* Work effectively with Capture Leader to generate win themes that link customer needs with defined benefits of the Thales offering
* Ensure that cost estimates / target budgets are provided with support of Systems Engineering / Product Management.
* Ensure that cost estimates are effectively reviewed to ensure competitive and winning pricing
* Ensure that effective Gate Business Cases are prepared for specific opportunities.
* Support the Sales/Capture Lead in any customer negotiations and presentations.
The role will also involve occasional ad-hoc duties that are not listed above but are necessary to respond to the needs of the business. These ad-hoc duties will be consistent with the nature of a management position within Thales.
Key performance Indicators against Responsibilities and Tasks (professional only):
Key Performance Indicators are role specific
They are to be added to this job description when working with Resourcing to provide a final project / CBU-specific version
* Strong, professional bid management skills.
* Adaptable to an agile fast paced Cyber and Consulting environment. The ability to deliver under pressure.
* The ability to directly successfully manage a bid team and to drive solutions to successful conclusion.
* Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills with written presentation and proposal writing skills.
* Ability to manage the internal governance process and communicate effectively with key stakeholders across the business.
* Strong, organisational, managerial and team working skills.
* Commercial, financial and business acumen.
* A positive attitude combined with excellent interpersonal and motivational skills.
* The ability to adapt personal style of management and communication to achieve the desired results from interactions with team members and stakeholders.
* Strong negotiation skills with the ability to deal with customers, partners, suppliers and other parts of the business.
* Analytical skills aligned with the need to carry out detailed investigation of cost variance(s) and publishing of financial information directly into Company financial reports
* A proven track record of delivering successful bids in contexts relevant to Thales.
* Demonstrate previous focus on producing high quality bids, with clear value propositions.
* Demonstrate the ability to work in a complex, multidisciplinary, multi-site organisation.
* Can demonstrate the ability to construct of solutions that meet the markets need both commercially and technically.
* Comprehensive experience of processes and techniques used to schedule bid management activities. Including managing internal review process, bid schedule and proposal management.
* Experience of working across boundaries, including knowledge of commercial management, finance functions.
* Ideally at least three years of Bid Management experience.
* Experience of a consultancy business would be advantageous.
* Has as a minimum a working knowledge of industry standard approaches to bid management.
Financial / Budgetary Responsibility:
Successfully manage bid budgets.
Educated to degree level
Level C Professional accreditation with the Association for Project Management (or equivalent level of professional accreditation).
Recognising the restricted nature of the work there is a requirement for the candidate to be eligible to obtain Security Clearance for this role.