7 months ago
Avionics Design Engineer
Location: Chester, UK | Duration: 12 Months | Pay Rate: Negotiable
A vacancy exists within a major defence industrial corporation for an Avionics Design Engineer to undertake a leading role within the Aircraft Systems Design Team of the client's Airborne ISR business, supporting multiple aircraft projects across all Airborne ISR sites (Broughton, Harlow and Waddington). The work will be within both civil and military environments and the successful candidate will report to the Head of Systems at Harlow.
- Taking ownership of aircraft modification packages throughout the entire design lifecycle;
- Managing the development of modifications to the aircraft by planning and administration of the Modification Design Processes;
- Developing modification proposals with Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) for the introduction of new or upgraded aircraft electrical and RF avionics and mission systems capabilities;
- Supporting the Engineering Manager in the preparation of bids and proposals;
- Initial system design and subsequent liaison with the detail design team to develop the final solution in a timely manner;
- Analysis of systems design issues, determination of actions and solutions;
- Liaison with:
- customers to develop customer concepts and documentation of requirements;
- OEM and other suppliers to gather detailed understanding and suitable documentation to facilitate detailed installation/integration design;
- the Production Organisation to solve problems arising in installation;
- test/ production engineers to complete test regime as required; and
- Certification Authorities as required.
- Production of:
- test documentation and other analyses/reports; and
- modification control documentation and subsequent certification of the resulting modification with CAA, EASA, MAA or other certification requirements as appropriate.
- Production and review of modifications to the Aircraft Document Set;
- Presenting information at both internal and external design reviews; and
- Ensuring that all engineering activities undertaken are conducted in accordance with Raytheon UK and site procedures that reflects best practice and is in accordance with Raytheon UK and the relevant governance agencies procedures.
- Proven ability and recent exposure in the design, integration and certification of aircraft avionic and electronic systems at a senior level in either a civil or military environment;
- Wide knowledge of current avionic and military sensors and systems;
- Knowledge of aircraft power generation and distribution systems;
- Understanding and experience of the Systems Engineering life cycle;
- Proven ability working within a multi-discipline aerospace engineering team;
- A logical problem solver who can operate effectively under stretching project constraints;
- Able to manage and work within agreed timescales; and
- Able to use initiative to improve team process and performance.
- Exposure to customer facing environments;
- Proven ability in the support of production organisations from within a design organisation;
- Knowledge of civil and military modification and certification processes;
- Experience in a position of authority (team leader/ deputy) within a design organisation;
- Knowledge of EASA/FAA certification requirements; and
- Knowledge of current military certification requirements.
Additional Security Information
Due to the sensitive nature of the product, all applicants must have worked in the defence industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining a UK MoD Security Clearance (SC level minimum).