Up to £34.00 per hour
0161 707 1516
about 2 months ago
Morson are working in partnership with Airbus Defence & Space and have a unique opportunity for an experienced Antenna Mechanical Engineer to join the team at Stevenage in a contract capacity for an initial 12 month period, full details below.
Client - Airbus Defence & Space
Location - Stevenage
Rate - £34 per hour Umbrella (role deemed inside IR35).
Duration - 12 months
The Antenna Group is responsible for the design, manufacture, test and delivery of exceptionally reliable, high performance and mission critical antenna systems for telecommunication satellites, working with customers to define the next generation telecoms payload and antenna systems, requiring innovative and challenging RF and mechanical solutions to achieve the most advanced spacecraft on the market.
The Antenna mechanical engineering group works side by side with RF experts to provide mechanical solutions and structure designs for Antennas - providing the stability, alignment, and support needed throughout the satellite life - from on-ground testing, through launch and for up to 20 years of operation in space.
Working with experts from CAD, Stress, Thermal, Materials, Testing, Manufacturing and more, the Mechanical Engineer runs the design project within the wider antenna project team, and is involved in organising the supporting functions and performing all aspects of delivering the mechanical product.
The Mechanical Engineer defines the design concept and develops the detail design, manages the mechanical and electrical interfaces to other satellite systems, and works with the overall satellite design team to accommodate the antenna onto the satellite structure in the optimum way.
The Mechanical Engineer also oversees the manufacturing, assembly and testing of the product to ensure it is built to withstand the environment of launch and subsequent in-orbit operations.
Working as part of one or more integrated Antenna project teams, the main activities of the mechanical engineer include -
- Developing mechanical designs.
- Liaising with supporting functions on the details of the design, e.g. CAD, stress, thermal, materials, test, manufacturing, etc.
- Working side-by-side with the RF products engineers to develop integrated RF / Mechanical design solutions that perform as required by the end customer
- Providing mechanical design documents to support customer design reviews along the life of the project
- Participating in project and product development meetings
- Development and qualification of new products, processes, and methods for building antennas faster, better and cheaper
- Managing the mechanical design project team including schedule, budget, risk & opportunity, and resource, to ensure on-quality, on-time, on-cost delivery of the mechanical product.
- Working closely with the Antenna project manager to ensure integration with the overall project plan
The following skills and/or experience are wanted for this role -
- A sound knowledge of the mechanical design principles of structures for space hardware/equipments.
- A good understanding of the mechanical design process, including concurrent engineering approach.
- A good understanding of the mechanical and thermal analysis techniques applicable to space hardware structures.
- A good understanding of the origins of the technical specification for space hardware, and the derivation of the major mechanical design environments.
- Experience of supporting mechanical tests.
- Good communication and team working skills.
- A sound knowledge of engineering materials
- A sound knowledge of typical manufacturing methods, capabilities and limitations.
Manufacturing & Assembly
Education & Work History
Degree in Mechanical Engineering
Five years of experience of a similar role in the Space, Aerospace or similar high tech manufacturing sector
The successful candidate will be required to pass BPSS security clearance before confirmation of contract offer.
Free parking is provided for this role in a municipal car park located approximately fifteen minutes' walk from site.
This role is within scope of IR35 rules
This role will be working from home initially then working on site once COVID restrictions are lifted by the client