Up to £34.76 per hour
6 months ago
Advanced Research Engineer
Location: Bristol, Duration: 6 Months, Rate: £34.76 per hour PAYE
A vacancy exists within a leading centre of excellence in composites research for an Advanced Research Engineer. The work covers the solution and appraisal of technical engineering tasks in line with project requirements. This will be in a range of complex and non-complex contexts.
The role encompasses two broad areas of activity: Technical and Customer Interaction.
- Identify the need for a literature survey to be completed. You will review and assess completed surveys to provide technical direction utilising advanced knowledge of the client's and industry best practice.
- Analyse and assess how the client's engineering capability can be developed by strategically aligning technology development to the short and medium-term technology roadmaps.
- Solve a range of complex and non-routine tasks to support project requirements by analysing and comparing mathematical and scientific theory and by assessing practical tasks.
- You will provide technical or specialist knowledge and guidance to RE's.
- Review and justify innovative approaches to direct and appraise technical solutions in a range of complex and non-routine contexts. You have substantial technical autonomy in your specialist area. This level of innovation is evolutionary and may include a new concept to replace the primary function of an existing process or capability and is medium-high risk.
- Ensure the appropriate capture and dissemination of technical information to internal and external customers to strengthen customer relationships.
- Build and develop collaborative working opportunities internally and externally at a national level. You will have a technical network and foster an environment that emphasises knowledge sharing and multi-disciplined and/or cross-functional participation.
- You will expand your sphere of influence to better position the client's technical capability to create new collaborative opportunities.
- Provide advice and direction on the types of technical collaboration to pursue that will be of benefit to the client.
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Masters in Mechanical/ Materials Engineering or other relevant degree/qualification or significant engineering proven ability with composite materials.
- Proven ability to analyse and review technical solutions and justify substantiated conclusions.
- Competently address engineering problems involving some uncertainty, and non-routine technical and non-technical factors.
- Demonstrable ability to justify alternative engineering approaches and compare potential outcomes against appropriate criteria to justify an optimal or new engineering concept.
- Understands and shows the value of alternative and multi-disciplined viewpoints, academic advice and the importance of professional networking.
- Awareness of broader fields of science, engineering and technology from which new ideas and interfaces may be drawn and readily engages with professionals from these fields to exchange ideas and exploit collaboration opportunities.
- Proven ability to seek out new developments in your engineering specialisation and apply advanced knowledge and systematic processes to analyse and assess potential.
- Able to represent the client's short/medium term strategic technical engineering position to the broader community.
- Able to express advanced and a range of complex technical information effectively and succinctly, issuing instruction, engaging in discussion, justifying arguments, debating and negotiating - to technical and non-technical audiences and using appropriate media best suited to the audience and context.
- Significant composite engineering ability and knowledge.
- PhD in specialist area.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.