Image 2021 06 02 T09 46 24


Sale secure play-off spot and Salford struggle against Warrington!

Jamal Niaz morson news

Image 2021 06 02 T09 46 24

​Sale Sharks 22-13 Bristol Bears

A scoreless first half saw both sides showcase brilliant defensive displays, but Bristol opened the scoring in the 45th minute through Ben Earle’s try. An electric defense-splitting run from young scrum-half Raffi Quirk saw Sale make there way to the try-line, and it was eventually Dan du Preez who powered over to draw the home side level.

 A brilliant cross-field kick found Byron McGuigan, who then put through Rob du Preez to go over in front of a roaring crowd at the AJ Bell, as Sale took the lead for the first time in the 63rd minute.

Curtis Langdon charged over from a maul to extend Sale’s lead but Ioan Llyod responded with Bristol’s second try to keep the pressure on heading into the final minutes. AJ MacGinty’s late penalty secured a huge win against the league leaders and the result guaranteed the club their first play-off spot since 2006, coincidentally the last time they won the league…

Sale Sharks DOR Alex Sanderson gave his post-match thoughts:

"I'm over the moon for the result and the points. But I said to the guys before the game, I wasn't too bothered about the result, it was certain behaviours I wanted to see around the physical attributes we have”

 He continued: 

"What that showed tonight is that championships are won not on the execution, but the togetherness and resilience they displayed."

Sale: L James; McGuigan, S James, Doherty, Yarde; MacGinty, De Klerk; Rodd, Van der Merwe, Oosthuizen, Wiese, J-L du Preez, T Curry, B Curry, D du Preez.

Replacements: Langdon, Morozov, Harper, Phillips, Neild, Quirke, R du Preez, Tuilagi.

Bristol: C Piutau; Morahan, Radradra, O'Conor, Malins; Sheedy, Uren; Woolmore, Kerr, Sinckler, Attwood, Vui, Harding, Earl, Hughes.

Replacements: Thacker, Thomas, Chaparro, Holmes, Heenan, Kessell, Lloyd, S Piutau.


Salford Red Devils 18-62 Warrington Wolves

Warrington had a three-try lead inside the first eleven minutes as Stefan Ratchford, Danny Walker, and Toby King all got over. However, Ken Sio gave the Salford fans something to cheer about as he replicated his brilliant try against Leigh with another full-length sprint of the pitch to score. Harvey Livett continued his great form by getting over on the left side against his former club. Salford looked to gather momentum in this period, although it was the Wolves who went into the break full of confidence, as Jake Mamo slid under the sticks for their fourth try of the half.

 The second-half was more of the same as Gareth Widdop extended Warrington’s lead, only for Darcy Lussick to respond and score his first try for Salford. The away side truly ran away with the game later in the half as Jake Mamo, Toby King and Gareth Widdop all got their second tries of the game, as well as Chris Hill and Ben Currie scoring to seal off another tough test in the Super League for Salford.

Salford head coach, Richard Marshall shared his disappointment at the performance:

"We managed to get ourselves a foothold after a slow start but Warrington were very clinical in their attack. We are busted mentally and physically”

 Salford: Escare; Sio, Watkins, Livett, Williams; Lolohea, Atkin; Ormondroyd, Taylor, Ikahihifo, Lannon, Roberts, Burke.

Interchanges: Lussick, Wells, Luckley, Patton.

Warrington: Ratchford; Lineham, Mamo, King, Charnley; Austin, Widdop; Hill, Walker, Philbin, Currie, Hughes, Davis.

Interchanges: Mulhern, J. Clark, Akauola, D. Clark.

Sale next host play-off rivals Harlequins this Friday, whilst Salford travel to Hull Kingston Rovers on Friday 11th June.