Image 2021 05 10 T10 44 12


Rugby Round-Up: Sale continue winning run and Salford edged out of Challenge Cup

Jamal Niaz morson news

Image 2021 05 10 T10 44 12

​Sale’s winning streak in the Premiership continued, whilst late heartbreak for Salford saw their Challenge Cup campaign come to an end.

Sale Sharks 26-10 Leicester Tigers

 Sale had a comfortable 16-3 half-time lead, as AJ MacGinty dispatched four kicks and set up prolific winger, Byron McGuigan for the first try of the game, with Zach Henry getting the points for Leicester.

The Tigers responded with a penalty try, after Luke James knocked the ball forward away from Murimurivalu’s path, preventing a try-scoring opportunity. Both Luke James and Jean Luc Du Preez had been sent to the sin bin for Sale, continuing the recent trend of the Sharks playing large chunks of games with less than 15 men on the field.

 The Sharks gave themselves some breathing room heading into the last ten minutes, as Tom Curry sent Marland Yarde charging over for the final points of the game.


Sale DOR Alex Sanderson gave his post-match thoughts

 "I've got to enjoy that win. The fight, the determination, the physicality - the lads are proud Leicester never crossed the whitewash.But I'm thinking, 13 men against Bristol, 13 men against Quins or an Exeter, it's going to cost you”

Sale Sharks: L James; McGuigan, S James, Hill, Yarde; MacGinty, De Klerk; Rodd, Van der Merwe, Oosthuizen, Wiese, Beaumont (capt), J-L du Preez, T Curry, D du Preez.

Replacements: Ashman, Harrison, John, Phillips, Nield, Quirke, Wilkinson, Doherty.

Leicester Tigers: Henry; Van Wyk, Moroni, Kelly, Murimurivalu; McPhillips, B Youngs (capt); De Bruin, Clare, Heyes, Henderson, Lavanini, Martin, Brink, Liebenberg.

Replacements: Dolly, Whitcombe, Hurd, Green, Wiese, Van Poortvliet, Williams, Steward.

Castleford Tigers 19-18 Salford Red Devils

Salford took the lead after 15 minutes of play, with Kevin Brown sending an enticing cross-field kick into the path of Harvey Livett to ground. Castleford levelled the score through Daniel Smith, but Salford soon re-took the lead, with Harvey Livett brilliantly breaking through the line to get over for his second try of the day.

The Tigers managed to level again just before the break, with Peter Mata’utia getting the ball down on the right. Castleford took the lead for the first time in the game through Mark Shenton, however Salford continued to show fight until the end as they left it late, with Lee Mossop powering over to send the game to golden point.

Despite Salford’s perseverance and persistence, the Red Devils’ were narrowly defeated as Gareth O’Brien’s drop goal in extra-time sent his side through to the Challenge Cup semi-finals

Castleford Tigers: Evalds, Olpherts, Mata'utia, Shenton, Turner, Richardson, Trueman, Milner, Millington, Holmes, Massey, McShane, Griffin.

Salford Red Devils: Sarginson, Sio, Watkins, Livett, Williams, Lolohea, Brown, Mossop, Addy, Ikahihifo, Greenwood, Pauli, Taylor.

Sale next travel to Bath on Friday, May 14th whilst Salford travel to St Helens on Monday, May 17th.