Is Mobile Learning Really the Future?
RECRUITMENT TRENDS | 5 MIN READ
Discover the challenges of implementing mobile learning.
Find out why enabling mobile learning isn't as difficult as you might think.
Mobile learning continues to be a hot topic, not just in recruitment but in organisations of every shape and size. 64% of learners say it’s essential that they can access training content on a mobile device. The average person touches their mobile device more than 2,600 times every day.
But does mobility matter all that much? Are we looking at a vital addition to the way you train your people, or a big investment that sits unused despite your best attempts on on-boarding and engagement?
Making mobile learning matter to your people
Every business leader has dealt with a must-have technology that people on the ground just don’t care about. When it comes to recruitment specifically, you’re dealing with busy professionals who are already struggling to sit at their desks and invest time in developing their skills.
It’s not enough to make mobile learning available and hope your people will do the rest. Simply put, they won’t.
The answer is much the same as it would be with training in any form. It’s all about giving people great reasons to come back, which means:
- A focus on quality content that’s engaging, interesting and memorable
- Rewards and incentives for completing training (through gamification)
- Structured pathways through content, so people can take a guided journey to building new skills
In short: making mobile learning matter is the same big challenge as making learning matter at all. But mobile has some advantages that could make your life easier.
Mobility already fits with the way people learn
For years, eLearning has been under-adopted because we’ve asked people to squeeze into the limitations of technology. There’s nothing more unnatural than setting time aside and putting everything on hold in order to work on skills that might prove irrelevant. It’s no wonder it’s so hard to get people on board.
But mobility has the big advantage of already being a great fit for how human beings learn new information. People learn in small, bite-sized chunks – the kind of content that works incredibly well on mobile. They learn as part of life, not by putting life on hold – and mobile learning is available from anywhere, any time.
And, perhaps most importantly, they learn by doing. Only mobile learning makes it possible to find relevant on the train, pick up useful tips before you get through the ticket barrier, and put training into practice the moment you arrive at your meeting.
Four essentials for successful mobile learning
In essence, there are just four essential traits of an effective mobile learning platform:
- Showcase your content. Nobody likes to scroll through an endless menu. Instead, use automation and user-specific alerts to bring the most relevant, valuable content to their attention.
- Remember offline. The promise of mobile learning is that it’s available everywhere – downloadable content and offline access is the only way to make that a reality when mobile connectivity is inconsistent.
- Embrace interactivity. From quizzes to games and social learning, aim for the level of interactivity people would expect when reaching for a smartphone or tablet.
- Do mobile like you mean it. Making your desktop platform available on smartphones just isn’t enough. If the experience isn’t tailored to the special advantages of mobile learning, you’re missing a huge opportunity.
The challenge of adoption is the same as it’s ever been. The power of mobile learning is its ability to connect to the way people really learn. And a successful implementation is easier than you might think.
This article was written in partnership with Recruitment Juice.
About Recruitment Juice
Founded in 2007, Recruitment Juice offers the world’s leading online training platform made exclusively for recruiters. The platform includes award-winning video courses, gamification to drive engagement, and automated pathways to guarantee relevant, actionable content. All backed by Juice’s team of learning experts to tailor content and customise platform.
It’s a comprehensive training solution that motives teams, improves performance, and helps embed a culture of learning and development.
Find out more: www.recruitmentjuice.com