Sub Banner Default


Morson Ambassador Andy Reid Completes Garrison Challenge

James Kenealey ex-forces

Andy Garrison

Morson ambassador Andy Reid, alongside fellow veteran Glen Hughes, have completed the five-day Garrison challenge in support of The Soldiers Charity.

The challenge, set by themselves, saw Andy ride a yellow trike along a route that stretched over 800 miles between three of England’s largest army garrison towns; Colchester, Aldershot and Catterick, before completing the ride on Monday 16 July at Morson head office in Salford.

Andy lost both of this legs and his right arm when he stood on an improvised explosive device (IED) while serving with the 3rd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment in Afghanistan. He now works as an ambassador for Morson, helping transition ex-forces personnel into civilian life.

The fundraising target for the challenge was originally set as £5,000 but the total has far exceeded that, with over £7,000 of donations being collected both online and throughout the journey for the charity.

The Soldiers’ Charity has offered support to soldiers, veterans and their families since 1944 and across many conflicts. They support a wide range of specialist charities around the world. Jim Duffy from the charity was among the crew that supported Andy on his ride, and during the individual legs of the journey he was joined by others including former Special Forces soldier and TV SAS instructor Ollie Ollerton who live-streamed through his Facebook. [LINK].

During the journey, the convoy stopped at Stafford Showground at a British Forces Resettlement Services event that Morson were attending. Morson have a long track record of aiding ex-forces personnel in their transition into civilian employment, something that Andy Reid is supporting as company ambassador.

The ride also took the crew to the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, where Morson Group CEO Ged Mason joined Andy in laying a wreath at the memorial to the men and women that have been lost in conflict since World War 2.

The route continued through the week across to Farnborough, Doncaster, Catterick, Blackburn and more before Andy received a hero’s welcome from employees at Morson head office.

Andy reflected on the journey and the difficulties he faced. "The first day was very emotional after laying the wreath and seeing friends names on the wall at the National Memorial Arboretum. The next few days were hard going trying to grip, steer and accelerate at the same time so it took its toll a bit."

"Once the ride was over for the day and I was going everyday things my arm was sore but I had some cryotherapy and feel fresh and good to go again!"

Andy is already planning his next challenge.