What Clearances do I Need to Work at a Nuclear New Build Site?

Rebekah Valero-Lee Power, Nuclear and Utilities


Hinkley Point C recently became the first site licensed for a nuclear new build in the UK in 30 years, and will provide a big economic boost to the area as well as creating many skilled jobs. But you might be thinking, what nuclear new build clearances do I need to work at a site?’ So, lets take a look at the various levels:

Security Clearance

When working at a nuclear new build, varying degrees of clearance are required depending on what part of the site you would be required to access. We break down the varying degrees of clearance:
Baseline Clearance
As the name suggests, this is the lowest and most basic clearance that you can get. This consists of a background check on the individual as well as a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. To enter any part of the site, this would be the minimum requirement.
SC Clearance
The next level of clearance is SC clearance. This involves the background check and DBS check required for the previous level, but also includes a working history check.
DV Clearance
DV clearance is the highest level of security clearance applicable at a nuclear new build site. To be involved in and around highly classified nuclear design and reprocessing, this is the clearance level you would need, for roles such as electrical, mechanical, testing and development.
This level involves all of the criteria for the previous two levels, but also includes a background check on your family and is as detailed as looking into your internet history.


Counter-terrorism Check
Counter-terrorism check (CTC) is a clearance required for anyone who works in close proximity to sensitive materials or information that may be vulnerable to a terrorist attack. The vetting process can take up to 6 months, and involves the baseline clearance (discussed above), company records checks and security and criminal record checks.

Working in Construction?

Working on a new build nuclear site doesn’t necessarily mean you’re involved in the nuclear technology side of things – there are plenty of roles required in infrastructure and construction, utilising skills from other sectors.
In order to work in the construction side of the project, you must also have the following:

Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) card
This is often required on construction sites and demonstrates your basic skills and knowledge.
Client Contractor National Safety Group (CCNSG) passport
This certification follows a two day course and an exam, which covers the current safety legislations and safety practices.

With exciting nuclear new build projects on the horizon, now is a good time to be preparing and looking at the nuclear new build clearances you need. Why not have a look at our current vacancies to see what’s required, here.